Conventional Fixtures Difference between MSD700 / MSR700 & MSR700/2

Hello everyone. This is my cherry poppin thread so don't hurt me. :)

I've got a small fleet of High End Systems Intellabeams (12 fixtures). Of course lamp replacement is currently my highest and most recurring expense. I've been doing a lot of research on different lamp manufacturers trying to find the best price for a lamp that will do the job and I've come across something that, as a learning LD, I'd like to understand better.

I've seen MSD700s, MSR700s and the MSR700/2 lamps all claim to work in the IBeam. There is a significant difference in price between the MSD and MSR lamps. And I have no idea what is different between the MSR700 and MSR700/2. So to avoid possibly spending a lot of money on the wrong lamp, I figured I'd ask you guys.

Also, if you happen to have any new or used lamps of this kind that you'd like go of at a reasonable price, I'm interested in that as well.

Thanks for your time!
Jason Haynie
Balance Lighting Systems
Balance Lighting Systems | Lighting The Way
[email protected]

Color Temperature will be the biggest difference you will notice from type to type. The MSR700/2 is the one I have most often seen specified.

Philips created the MSR###/2 after their original type, MSR### (No slant 2) were shown to have a bad color temperature, i.e. they looked awful and green on a video.

Assuming color temperature is important, the /2 version will be what you desire.

Off the top of my head, I believe the MSD offers a longer life, but would recommend sticking with the MSR700/2...

Thanks! I was hoping they were performance differences and not design. Most of my shows are DJ type shows so I'm okay (for now) with a mix match of lamps. Once I grow out of those shows and get into more events with slower movements I'll have to make sure they all match I'm sure.

The msr lamps will have a more white light the msd will appear more yellow. Msd's have a longer life than the msr lamps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back