EDI Dimmer Panel

Bart53

Hi All,
I've got a MkVII EDI panel with SPI D-2 dimmer modules. I am replacing the SSR's in two of the modules. The SSR that was installed is a Douglas Randall DD 40NZ Dual Solid State Relay. I replaced them with a Crydom D2440D Dual Solid State Relay. When installed I get all of the proper indications on the front of the dimmer module, ie line/load and gate lights but the relay will not fire when I send a signal to it. Did I install the incorrect type of SSR? Based upon the NZ designator in the Douglas Randall SSR I'm beginning to think that it may mean it's a non-zero crossing type. The Crydom is a zero-crossing type. I cannot find any documentation for the Dougals Randall SSR to bear out my suspicions. Anybody know if this is the case based upon what I've supplied? Thanks to all!

Bart

Hi All,
I've got a MkVII EDI panel with SPI D-2 dimmer modules. I am replacing the SSR's in two of the modules. The SSR that was installed is a Douglas Randall DD 40NZ Dual Solid State Relay. I replaced them with a Crydom D2440D Dual Solid State Relay. When installed I get all of the proper indications on the front of the dimmer module, ie line/load and gate lights but the relay will not fire when I send a signal to it. Did I install the incorrect type of SSR? Based upon the NZ designator in the Douglas Randall SSR I'm beginning to think that it may mean it's a non-zero crossing type. The Crydom is a zero-crossing type. I cannot find any documentation for the Dougals Randall SSR to bear out my suspicions. Anybody know if this is the case based upon what I've supplied? Thanks to all!

Bart

The D2440D is a zero crossing cube and instead you would want the D2440D-10 version which is the non-zero crossing version. I'm not sure why what you have is not firing as it should be acting as a relay instead of a dimmer. There could be another problem such as miswiring in the dimmer or a problem with driver electronics. Take time to move the module to another slot to see if it fires there. It should be turning on.

David

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply David. Sorry I did not add the fact that I had swapped out a know good dimmer module in the slot and it worked. When I moved the repaired module to another slot, ie chandeliers, they did not work. The problem is in the dimmer module based upon what I'm seeing. Anything else to look at?
By the way, these SSR's have the four pins for the DC input. I checked the input polarities and did continutity checks of the bad unit against a good unit. Nothing raised its head at me.

Thanks for the reply David. Sorry I did not add the fact that I had swapped out a know good dimmer module in the slot and it worked. When I moved the repaired module to another slot, ie chandeliers, they did not work. The problem is in the dimmer module based upon what I'm seeing. Anything else to look at?
By the way, these SSR's have the four pins for the DC input. I checked the input polarities and did continutity checks of the bad unit against a good unit. Nothing raised its head at me.

Seems like you've taken the correct steps. I have seen cases where the control wires are not making good contact with the IDC pins in the control connector so do make sure you have continuity from the back of the module to the pics on the cube. Also, I have seen sloppy or worn out sockets in the control connectors and they do not make good contact with the cube pins unless you move them around. The test above will help show this too.

You said you checked polarity which is important as well as making sure the connector is not off by one pin. Do a side-by-side continuity comparison to a working module. Beyond that, we probably need to get you in touch with an EDI expert.

Hope that helps,

David

Last edited:
David,
Thanks for taking the time to reply. It has helped tremendously. I've completed the checks that you've outlined and have not found anything glaring at me. I will see if I have another IDC connector laying around to replace the current one with just to be on the safe side. I will go ahead and order the random-crossing SSR's for this dimmer module and install them. Then we will see what have. I suspect it will work then.

Thanks again,
Bart

Random Crossing is correct (non-zero crossing.) At this point, I would switch the SSR from a known good unit. If it does not work then there is another problem with the module. If it does work then it could be that the new SSR requires a wee bit more trigger current then the firing circuit is supplying. In other words, the new SSR is incompatible.

If you have any questions that are beyond the scope of this forum, Alan Child [(503)781-7361] of EDI Service & Repair is a real guru and is more than happy to walk you through it on the phone. I've called him a few times and he is always very nice and willing to chat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back