Edison Connector Code Compliance

Apmccandless

I work for a company who builds custom scenery for corporate events or sometimes high schools. In addition to scenery we do lighting. For tents we are required to hire a certified electrician to run the all power used in the tent. On a recent event he told me that our source 4's are not up to code because the Edison (NEMA 5-15) connectors we use are not rated to accept individual wires. Even though the fiberglass wire sheath is connected into the clamp of the connector. I have looked around and I cannot find any connectors that say they are rated to accept wire. I looked through the ETC documentation online and I have not found anything that mentions the connector. I can't find any mention in NEC 518, 520, or 525 of clamping multiple wires into a connector. The Source 4 pigtail is 3 PFTE type conductors with a fiberglass sheath. Is there a different NEMA 5-15 connector we should be using? How should I address this to be code compliant? Thanks.

Wow. First time I've heard this. I'll be curious to see what @STEVETERRY and others have to say. Offhand I cannot think of any connector, 5-15 or otherwise, rated for individual conductors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Put the onus back on him. Rather than you proving they ARE, make him prove they're NOT.

Oh how I wish electricians (or city inspectors for that matter) worked like that. As I mentioned earlier I cannot run power in a tent as I lack a certification. He can say no he won't do it and the only recourse I have is to hire a different electrician. The electrician we used in the past no longer works outside the office. I may just end up hiring another company but was curious if anyone had ever run across this problem?

I work for a company who builds custom scenery for corporate events or sometimes high schools. In addition to scenery we do lighting. For tents we are required to hire a certified electrician to run the all power used in the tent. On a recent event he told me that our source 4's are not up to code because the Edison (NEMA 5-15) connectors we use are not rated to accept individual wires. Even though the fiberglass wire sheath is connected into the clamp of the connector. I have looked around and I cannot find any connectors that say they are rated to accept wire. I looked through the ETC documentation online and I have not found anything that mentions the connector. I can't find any mention in NEC 518, 520, or 525 of clamping multiple wires into a connector. The Source 4 pigtail is 3 PFTE type conductors with a fiberglass sheath. Is there a different NEMA 5-15 connector we should be using? How should I address this to be code compliant? Thanks.

The UL Listing listing of the Source 4 includes acceptable connectors, and one of those is a NEMA 5-15 Edison Plug.

Because of the high temperature of tungsten luminaires such as Source 4, the NEC allows a special high-temperature cable assembly covered in NEC section 520.68(A)(4). Since there is no practical alternative to this assembly, it is allowed to terminate in a NEMA or ANSI E1.24 connector, even though the listing of such connectors contemplates a type S or SJ portable cord.

ST

Do you know where I might find this documentation? I checked he UL listing documents on ETC's website and didn't see any mention of connector. I only ask because unfortunately NEC 520 does not apply in this instance.

Do you know where I might find this documentation? I checked he UL listing documents on ETC's website and didn't see any mention of connector. I only ask because unfortunately NEC 520 does not apply in this instance.

The UL report on the product is not available to the general public, as it contains proprietary information. However, the data sheet on the S4, which is a UL-listed product, shows the option of a NEMA 5-15 connector which is the -A option for the product.

See:
http://www.etcconnect.com/Products/Lighting-Fixtures/Source-Four/Source-Four/Documentation.aspx

ST

Good Morning
You say you need a CERTIFIED electrician.
Or a licensed electrician?
ETCP Certifies Entertainment Electricians. I used my ETCP CEE on a boat parade and the US Coast guard
Was fine with it.
ETCP CEE understand show / temporary requirements.
Some licensed electricians, although very knowledgeable, don’t get it.

Jack Hochberg
ETCP CEE

Users who are viewing this thread

Back