Express battery

sarahsliefie

We have an express console that suddenly lost the show file (patching, subs, cues, everything) when it was turned off. I am guessing it is the battery, but I have not had a chance to look at it yet. has anyone else had this problem before? can you change the battery?

Are you sure you had the Show File Saved to the console or Floppy Drive? I have herd of an issue where the Express console won't remember what your programed without making a hard save. Just what I have been told, I haven't used an Express in a while. So just my 2 cents.

Give ETC a call at 1 (800) 688-4116 on Monday if you're sure it's the battery or if you can't figure out the problem. They're very helpful!

Hopefully one of our friendly ETC peeps will see this thread before Monday; but if not, definitely give them a call.

In the meantime, see
http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting-electrics/14901-etc-express-125-broken.html
http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting-electrics/16753-etc-expression-2x-need-help.html

Note that in the second thread, the Expression 2x uses capacitor s rather than a battery, so the problem was not user-serviceable. I've never been inside an Express, so can't tell you whether or not it uses a battery.

Hey ETC: For those aging consoles that do use batteries, perhaps a wiki entry would be useful. When I search the ETC forum site, I get lots of hits about RRFU batteries, and one hit re: ObsI batteries. Nothing on Express or Expression. (It also would be nice if your search could search for more than one word at a time.)

Last edited:
Howdy sarahsliefie,

There is a battery within the Express console that powers the chips that hold the show memory. Unfortunately, that battery is soldered in place and is not user replaceable. I would recommend that you give us a call on Monday to arrange for a repair and loaner console. Before Monday, make sure that you have saved the show to a couple of backup disks (I suggest a couple because the quality control of floppy disks is non-existant). If that is not an option, leave the console running.

Derek,
I will look into getting more of this information onto the wiki.

Howdy sarahsliefie,

There is a battery within the Express console that powers the chips that hold the show memory. Unfortunately, that battery is soldered in place and is not user replaceable. I would recommend that you give us a call on Monday to arrange for a repair and loaner console. Before Monday, make sure that you have saved the show to a couple of backup disks (I suggest a couple because the quality control of floppy disks is non-existant). If that is not an option, leave the console running.

Derek,
I will look into getting more of this information onto the wiki.

If ever there was a reason to select a vendor, here it is. On a blog site, within two hours, a tech from ETC responded with the needed information to begin to find solution to a problem.

While I do not like all of ETC's products, I have never been disapointed in their tech support and will continue to recomend their products for that very reason at many installations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back