Extra rope on fly rail

I am going to guess that you tie the end of that rope to your fly ops' belt so that they can't wander off when they see something shiny... no? Well, I guess if there's a run away then you want them to be able to... well... runaway. Bad idea... I'm out of ideas.

When reweighting an arbor on a counterweight system to balance the pipe weight and arbor weight you often take the slack in the two ropes, twist them together several times and then insert a stick between the lines and wedge it down the twisted lines to tighten the twists and create more friction. There is a length of steel attached to the wall behind the lines that is usually part of the counterweight system used to attach the arbor guides. This piece of steel is where you would put the far end of the stick and would act as the leverage point. Finally you would take that little piece of cord attached to the rail and tie it to the stick to secure it.

It might be noted that the method described above, that of tying the stick, is considered UNSAFE by most, and is improper use of a snub line. A stick, stab, Line-Lok, or Uncle Buddy should never be left unattended. One industry-recognized expert expresses often his dislike for any method that puts undue stress on the floor block (tension block).

The Knot looks to be two half hitches, one reversed from the other. A larks head or girth would have two passes thru the eye bolt

While I will concede that no it is not a larks head in true form (at least how I think you're seeing it), but I argue that if you told someone to tie an open larks head there, instead of two reversed half-hitches, they would be able to tie that knot correctly the first time.

Also, it is a larks head tied around a rope, it's just the same rope.

It might be noted that the method described above, that of tying the stick, is considered UNSAFE by most, and is improper use of a snub line. A stick, stab, Line-Lok, or Uncle Buddy should never be left unattended. One industry-recognized expert expresses often his dislike for any method that puts undue stress on the floor block (tension block).

It is only for the transfer of weight when a pipe or batten is being loaded or unloaded and the weight floor is adding or taking off bricks and there is an imbalance of weight that the rail lock would not hold. It is not intended to be left unattended as the Head Rail man is there to oversee the safe loading and unloading procedures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back