How NOT to terminate wire rope

ajb

A little while ago I finally went through one of the last boxes of junk that I inherited when I started here. I found a couple of gems that I thought I'd share. No idea how long they've been around or what they were used for. The first is mainly just sloppy, but the second is a major WTF. Don't worry, I clipped them off, and am saving them only for posterity's (and education's) sake. Both are 1/8" cable, in case the scale is difficult to discern.
sizes/l/

This is mainly a result of just plain sloppiness. If you look closely (you can click through to Flickr for the larger size) you can see nicks in the thimble from the swaging tool being placed haphazardly on the sleeve. The eye is firmly stuck at the angle you see here due to the sleeve being swaged in such a way that it has partly engulfed the tails of the thimble. The unswaged second sleeve was found just as you see it--perhaps someone intended to use it to backup the first sleeve in case the swaging went poorly, but then decided the first attempt was close enough to spec?

This one is just a huge WTF. This appears to be a result of placing the sleeve in the swaging tool flat (ie, presenting the wide face to the dies)and compressing it first in the 1/4" die and then in the 1/8" die in that orientation. Fortunately whoever did it put on two sleeves, so it should still be okay, right? :rolleyes: And yes, those are aluminum sleeves.

Last edited:
Wow, just wow and most interesting. I'm at a loss for words.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back