IEC Cable

carsonld

wuick question, is all IEC cable the same voltage? We moved our light board into a gym for an assembly and they built the control desk over the cable so we can't get it out. But I have some extra IEC cable laying around. It's an ETC eos

The issue is so much voltage as amperage, the standard Edison to C13 cable is commonly available in 14ga, 16ga and 18ga. The EOS Ti is rated at 6.3 amps at 120volts. I would think that a really flimsy cable from a cheap computer shouldn't be used. A 14ga would be fine.

No,not all IEC cable is the same voltage. There are many types and they go up to 250V. My guess is yours is 120V, but one to be sure is to get a meter, learn how to use it, and read the voltage. What was there before? Where is the circuit breaker. These answers may help you find the answer as well. Once again, I think a voltmeter would help you now and in the future.

The issue is so much voltage as amperage, the standard Edison to C13 cable is commonly available in 14ga, 16ga and 18ga. The EOS Ti is rated at 6.3 amps at 120volts. I would think that a really flimsy cable from a cheap computer shouldn't be used. A 14ga would be fine.
6.3 amps will be fine on 16gauge. (Hell, I don't have an ampacity chart in front of me, but 18gauge would likely be ok)
The Eos is rated for 120-240v and only draws 1.5 amps at 230v. (so, around 3 amps at 120v)
The Eos Ti is also rated for 120-240, and yes, it will draw 6.3 at 120v

But, it never hurts to meter the power. But even if it was 240v it would be fine.

Agreed...here is a ampacity chart that I picked up awhile back, and it shows you might even be able to go with 20AWG if the run is short @ 120V depending on your threshold for margin (but 16-18AWG should be fine for up to 80ft or so). (Instructions included for reference)

Wire_size_for_continuous_Loads_chart.PNG Wire_Gauge_instructions.PNG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back