Import ASCII files into a Pearl / Pearl expert

nishrigo

Hi,
I would like to know if any Avolites console - especially the Pearl 2010 or the Pearl Expert - can import and run ASCII show files properly. I have a show coming in from Germany, and I was asked if the console I have can import a file in ASCII fromat, that has been programmed on some other console.

Conversely, would I be able to export an Avo file to ASCII?

ASCII is a 7-bit standard for representing text in binary - it is the basis of (nearly?) all 8-bit western language encodings and unicode (UTF-8) (code points 127 and below are ASCII). The ASCII text output of one console may well be meaningless to a different console even if both save their shows in ASCII. I don't know anything about Avolites consoles, but I do know you'll need to know more about the console that did the programing to have any hope of making use of the file they want to provide.

In slightly more plain English, they are basically text files. Here's the thing:
Most data text files contain what are know and name-value pairs, like this-
name = value (or list of values)
So, maybe the "name" is a channel number and the "value" is the DMX setting. But, unless a system recognizes the exact name, it won't load the value!
So, if one manufacturer has channel 3 at 255, it may write it to disk as
ch003=255
But, if another manufacturer writes it like
03=255
the second board won't be able to read the first!

If the show is in text, have him email it to you as an attachment. Load it on a disk or thumb drive and try loading it on your board.
You'll find out real fast if it works!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back