Control/Dimming MIDI Cueing Problem

acoppsa

Hello Everyone,
I have been intrigued by a recent thread about using MTC to control lighting consoles.
Our new console, a Theatrelight Cuemaster II doesn't have MIDI I/O however is does have a remote cue input jack on the back. It is a stereo TRS jack.
The manual says that it can be triggered by manual push button or by electronic control from a SMPTE time decoder, Midi decoder or computer.
The jack is in the following configuration:
TIP - Forward connection
RING - Reverse connection
SLEEVE - Common connection (chassis earth)
The Forward and Reverse commands are given to the Cuemaster as follows:
Forward Cue - Connect tip to sleeve for a period of not less than 50 milliseconds and no greater than 1 second.
Reverse Cue - Connect ring to sleeve for a period of not less than 50 milliseconds and no greater than 1 second.

Does anyone know of any way I could make or buy something that would enable me to convert MIDI signals from my computer to a signal that my console would understand?
Thanks for your help.

I'm sure there are many solutions (google "midi relay"); this one appears to do what you want.

proxy.php

MIDI Solutions Relay; MIDI to General Purpose Output
I can't speak for this particular device, but have used other products from this manufacturer with satisfactory results.

Since it's a single relay, you could only send forward cues, or only reverse cues, but not change between the two, without more hardware and wiring. Due to limitations with your lighting console, you cannot select a specific cue, each MIDI program change is simply a <GO> press, so all cues in the show must be recorded sequentially, no jumping around or skipping cues.

The jack on your board is more commonly known as a "Remote Go," and is often wired to a footswitch to allow a musician to run light cues while playing (unless he plays with his feet:rolleyes:).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back