Positioning Martin MAC 2000 Performance ii

Hi everyone 😘

I have a Martin MAC 2000 Performance ii fixture:
https://www.martin.com/en-US/products/mac-2000-performance-ii#downloads

I'm considering mounting the fixture on a pole in a "45 degrees" (and not pure vertical or pure horizontal position. See "position A" diagram), as there's not enough space between the pole and the wall to mount it in a "vertically" or "horizontally" position.

Another option is to mount it on a different pole and to mount the light in a "vertical" position.

The manual says "The MAC 2000 Performance II can be placed on stage or clamped to a truss in any orientation" (page 12 in the user manual).

Can anyone confirm if I can mount the fixture in position A (45 degrees) or position B (vertically)?

Thank you so much!! 😍

Sophia

Attachments

• PositionA.png
    PositionA.png
    827.9 KB · Views: 38
  • PositionB.png
    PositionB.png
    671 KB · Views: 29
  • UM_MAC2000PerformanceII_EN_I (4).pdf
    3 MB · Views: 18
Will the machine work if you hang it like that? Probably.

Will you hate trying to program it like that? 100%.
Will you hate trying to hang it form the pipe like that? 200%.

Do yourself a favor and buy some safer sidearms: https://www.citytheatrical.com/products/hardware/accessories/safer-sidearms
But also confirm that that position is designed/rated for/engineered to support such loads, it doesn't look too encouraging from the picture you sent.

Will the machine work if you hang it like that? Probably.

Will you hate trying to program it like that? 100%.
Will you hate trying to hang it form the pipe like that? 200%.

Do yourself a favor and buy some safer sidearms: https://www.citytheatrical.com/products/hardware/accessories/safer-sidearms
But also confirm that that position is designed/rated for/engineered to support such loads, it doesn't look too encouraging from the picture you sent.
Thank you very much!!

The fixture's manual says that the structure needs to be able to hold 10 times the weight of the fixture.

This fixture is 90 lbs, and the strongest arm you sent me can hold a weight of 200 lbs, so unfortunately this arm won't do the trick for a fixture like the Martin MAC 2000.

Thank you anyhow! ❤️

Sophia

The fixture's manual says that the structure needs to be able to hold 10 times the weight of the fixture.

This fixture is 90 lbs, and the strongest arm you sent me can hold a weight of 200 lbs, so unfortunately this arm won't do the trick for a fixture like the Martin MAC 2000.

I wouldn't take that at face value to be honest. Or at the very least, I'll say it's complicated. Even a standard theatrical batten isn't exactly rated or intended to support a point load of 900lbs, let alone multiple on a single batten which is often done with heavy moving lights. You do need safety margins, don't get me wrong. Just know that this margin is likely built in to the sidearm's 200lb official rating. The Mac 2000 manual's advice is assuming a shock load from a falling fixture being arrested by a safety cable. The sidearm is rated for a 200lb working load limit, presumably taking in to account what might happen if that totally okay 200lb static load suddenly became a kinetic one. I would defer to the manufacturer before making those assumptions, of course. I don't have any knowledge of their built in safety margins, real or imagined, but surely they would be happy to provide a spec sheet with that info.

Good on you for reading (and heeding) the manual though. It's entirely possible that you are 100% correct and that the Safer Sidearm is not up to the task. Devil's in the details, especially where overhead rigging is concerned.

However (and this is coming from someone who has built similar lighting positions intended for lightweight instruments), that tormentor with its floor flanges, cast elbows, etc is not technically rated to hold any weight. I would be extremely hesitant to put anything heavier than an ellipsoidal or two on it, especially not knowing how those bolts/lag screws interface with the building's structure.

Last edited:
I wouldn't take that at face value to be honest. Or at the very least, I'll say it's complicated. Even a standard theatrical batten isn't exactly rated or intended to support a point load of 900lbs, let alone multiple on a single batten which is often done with heavy moving lights. You do need safety margins, don't get me wrong. Just know that this margin is likely built in to the sidearm's 200lb official rating. The Mac 2000 manual's advice is assuming a shock load from a falling fixture being arrested by a safety cable. The sidearm is rated for a 200lb working load limit, presumably taking in to account what might happen if that totally okay 200lb static load suddenly became a kinetic one. I would defer to the manufacturer before making those assumptions, of course. I don't have any knowledge of their built in safety margins, real or imagined, but surely they would be happy to provide a spec sheet with that info.

Good on you for reading (and heeding) the manual though. It's entirely possible that you are 100% correct and that the Safer Sidearm is not up to the task. Devil's in the details, especially where overhead rigging is concerned.

However (and this is coming from someone who has built similar lighting positions intended for lightweight instruments), that tormentor with its floor flanges, cast elbows, etc is not technically rated to hold any weight. I would be extremely hesitant to put anything heavier than an ellipsoidal or two on it, especially not knowing how those bolts/lag screws interface with the building's structure.
Got it.

Thank you so much for the detailed response!

Sophia

Users who are viewing this thread

Back