Safety Glasses

I wear prescription glasses, and I have never found a pair of safety glasses that are comfortable to wear. Maybe it's because I have used the generic ones from Home Depot.... anyway, for those of you on CB who wear prescription glasses, what kind of safety glasses do you use?

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

I don't often wear safety goggles, but when I do, I wear the largest google-type ones I can find (and sometimes cut slots in the side to accommodate the arms of my glasses). I've found that the glass in my prescription glasses is very shatterproof though, so I rarely feel the need to don real safety goggles.

I find any safety glasses over my prescription glasses extremely annoying.
When I'm fabricating or cutting metal I wear a full face shield that doesn't interfere with my glasses and offers better protection.

I got a pair of MSA safety goggles from Home Depot. Certainly not fancy, but they're the only ones I've found that DON'T take off my glasses when I remove them.

These ones: Industrial Grade Safety Goggles

One day I'll own me a pair of prescription safety glasses. They just aren't cheap.

Prescription safety glasses with the side wings. When going to a job site, it saves a ton of time and with the side wings, nobody ever questions if they are safety glasses. I can see and see clear, they don't fog up, don't have to sip them off or up to read drawings on site. Worth every penny ten fold.

I don't have to wear my glasses often, but when I do, I usually just use a full face shield.

Yes, that's true, but it's a risk I'm willing to take as I only wear my regular glasses in the shop once every few years (of course I'm ignoring Murphy's law). Every other time, its rated glasses under the shield.

OP, here is an old thread that discussed this too, http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/scenery-props-rigging/7132-eye-protection.html

I'm only wearing them for construction site visits and find the simple magnifying ones from Lowes - look like the 3m in the link above but about a 1.5 or 1.75 magnifying factor (my spare set of glasses is 2.5) - to work fine for the occasional glance at a label or plan or spec sheet.

Make sure they are at least Z87 rated otherwise they won't protect your eyes at all.

Last time I went to Pearl for a new prescription, I couldn't find any conventional "designer" frames that were less than $150 in a style I liked. On a lark, I asked about their safety frames. Bingo - $99 in precisely the style I like. The lenses were only slightly more expensive. Took advantage of their BOGO, 2 pairs for about $330. I requested the sides not be installed, I clip them on whenever I really need side-protection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back