Design Software Console

Hello

We currently have a Strandlighting Wall Rack, and a Strand Console, however I would love to be able to design the lighting without having to pull all the equipment out etc. I was hoping that there would be a free (reasonably cheap) piece of software that could be installed on a PC or mac that could be used to operate the lights?

If this is possible what additional hardware is required?

Thanks

Phil.

ps. pretty much a beginner at all this...the last show was controlled manually.

Check the web pages of Enttec and/or DMX King. They make USB to DMX interfaces you need to use to control your lights. They have a list of compatible software as well (mine among them!).

Last edited:
We have all Strand dimmers, and originally used a Strand Palette series console. (I have never used it, that was before my time here) We currently run our lights on a PC, using the Horizon program. However, that program is already at least a decade old. We have also used American DJ's MyDMX program, and have had no problems with either.

so if i use the Open DMX USB or USB Assembled Widget (because i'm a school teacher on a very limited budget!!!) along with compatible software I'll be able to control my Strand lighting! This is great! I am a complete novice at all this, so have been trying to watch so many tutorials to get the jest of it all. The dimmers seem straight forward as the majority of our lights are simple dimmers with gels. But we have to "fancy" lights (can't remember their name, but are capable of changing colour and using gobos) these two have there separate manual console, so I was hoping to get them all going of the same DMX. I'll maybe take some pictures of the setup so that I can get some tips!

Go for the Enttec USB Pro. The open dongle drops out randomly. Defiantly not what you want to happen during a show. I would ask your IT department to load up a laptop with your software of choice (mine is Chamsys Magic Q PC) and lock it down so it stays clean and show worthy. No need for any internet surfing kids to get a virus on the machine 15 minutes before the show starts.

Which Strand console? I'm guessing a Palette or Light Palette variant. Here's an incredibly un-useful link: http://www.strandlighting.com/index...cts&srctype=detail&refno=16&category=Controls . If they don't already, eventually Strand will see the wisdom of allowing a user to connect a PC to a lighting system, either in addition to, or in lieu of, a "real" console.

They did.....with the new NEO console. Though at 8k list....for the desk and less for the fully functional rack unit seems like a reasonable upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just did my first show with QLC+ and an OpenDMX dongle. I was able to use QLC+ to run lights, audio & video. I'm still learning the software, but so far, it's been great.

I even had a problem with audio quality and within a couple of days, the creator, Massimo Callegari, uploaded a new version that corrected the issue I was having. QLC+ can be foung on SourceForge.net.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back