Soldering Connectors

I haven't done it recently (that I can remember) but doing it with a multipin would be particularly nasty. Normal connectors, been there, done that.

What I do have a nasty habit of doing more often than I'd prefer is when making cable in batch mode and swap from males to females forgetting to reverse the wiring... This is 3 pin XLR, so the results would not endanger life, but may not do nice things with say phantom involved.

There is a reason why a visit to the cable tester is the last step in the cable assembly process :mrgreen:

Me and another person used to work making about 50 cables a day with 4 pin XLR connectors. They were for Pyrotechnic control systems. Everyday one of us would forget a BackShell. The other person would always know what happened because you make special little noise when you discover that it's missing.
:rolleyes: :oops: :lol:

My fav is the old 10 pin jones connector, during summer stock someone crushed one connector in a 5 cable bundle. I had just finished when I found that I had NOT put the cover on first and I couldnt slide it on as it was a 250' bundle.
You would think one would learn, but it has happened many times...as a matter of fact, last fall while replacing all the 1/4" jacks to xlr for our new sound board I was in such a groove, I put 6 of the wrong sex ends on for the aux outs... and forgot to take a cover off...:oops:

Will I never learn...:neutral:
Sean...
Ahhhh, the old Sinch Jones plugs, I maade a ton of them, 10 pin for TTI and LMI and 8 pin for Leprecon. And yes I have missed a few backs.

I was remembering when I was learning how to solder, the guy who was teaching me was reminding me to always to the back part on because he told me that he had been soldering cables for a snake(I apologize I do not know the correct technical term, if there is one more technical than that), and he forgot, so he chopped it off, and made the same mistake once more....

There is nothing more frustrating while soldering that forgetting the base. Of forgetting your iron if you're working off site. Or the location is "well stocked" with 10 half melted radioshack irons...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back