Spacing between lights and ceiling

...and they said the lights need to be 18 inches from the ceiling. ...
If you want to have some fun, ask the company to produce documentation stating same.

Re: Hanging lighting pipe

No reason why chain won't work as long as you are hanging the lights in the "traditional" fashion. Yes, you get swing if you really bang the pipe, but that is a worst case scenario. If you are hanging moving lights you have some worries, but those can be easily dealt with.

Chain will work perfectly fine, many battens are hung with chain, and it's quick and easy for hanging pipes. If you have a little more money and/or want something more rigid, pipe hangers are the next step up. They won't keep the pipe from swinging at all, but they'll allow you to overhang and yoke out units when needed, and you won't get nearly as much roll in the pipe as you will with just chain.

OK, thanks. They'll just be conventional fixtures hung normally, so I guess I don't have to worry too much.

Sorry about mixing these threads; I thought I had started a new thread.

...Sorry about mixing these threads; I thought I had started a new thread.
You HAD started a new thread, Hemi. Three of them in fact, all for the same project. As a moderator, I thought it better if they were all combined into one.

As to the use of chain for batten hanging, the practice provides many advantages, with the sole drawback that it does not make for a rigid suspension point. Should you decide to go "uncaged," one might make the argument that it's better to have some sway to absorb impact, rather than the fixture taking the full force of Footer's kicked balls. (There's a phrase I'd never thought I say.:oops:)

See also the threads http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/...ng-batten-threaded-rod-v-wire-rope-cable.html and http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/...nging-30-40guage-pipe-4-concrete-ceiling.html . From the pictures, it appears as though your situation is complicated by the fact that whatever you use will have to penetrate the sheetrock ceiling to attach to structure. Toggle/molly bolts just aren't going to cut it.;) Not even my favorite: Sure Wall Drywall Anchors.:(

hemismith said:
I think they are about 24 feet up. What do you think?
I think you also need a plan for how to get up in the air safely to hang and focus. One idea to consider would be rigging it with wire rope, so the pipe can be dropped to working height.

Hanging with chain is perfectly fine as long as the chain is rated and it is attached to a proper structure. What it does is make anything beyond straight underhanging tough. There are solutions to be able to overhang with a chain pipe but it is less than great.

Usually chain is easier, cheaper, and more adjustable than a rigid structure, but if you wanted it solid they ought to be able to do that. The ones in my church are bolted solid to the beams in the ceiling FWIW

Last edited:

You HAD started a new thread, Hemi. Three of them in fact, all for the same project. As a moderator, I thought it better if they were all combined into one.
OK, thanks, sorry. I'm used to a separate thread for each particular issue.

Thanks for the other links and points as well. Yes, we will have to mount everything to the structure above the ceiling.

I think you also need a plan for how to get up in the air safely to hang and focus. One idea to consider would be rigging it with wire rope, so the pipe can be dropped to working height.
I was initially planning on doing the latter, but we have access to a Genie lift and a Little Giant Skyscraper and will just use those to access them.

I would recommend if this is a permanent install, and you have a man lift available to do any refocus needed, that you hang these lights with threaded pipe. This pipe can be attached to the overhead structure and then threaded together to offer you some options for hanging. I would also recommend a cage like was mentioned earlier, though if you have a welding class in your school (or one at a local tech school) see if they would be willing to do it. They can probably design and build something just for the cost of materials since they can do the work in class (and learn from it!) Just make sure they leave access for you to get into!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back