Standard Battens

I need to install a lighting batten, but not sure of all the specifics.

From what I have been reading 1 1/2" (Schedule 60-80) pipe seems common. Aircraft cable 3/8" is used for anchor points.

Does this sound about right? Seems like I have seen larger pipes out there, but not sure.

thanks for your help!

BW

This is one of those questions that we really can't answer for you. What you really need to do is get in touch with a local professional rigger for this project. All overhead rigging has the potential to cause serious injury or death if rigged improperly. The best thing to do is get in touch with your local theatre supplier, they should either be able to help you or put you in touch with someone who can.

JR Clancey and Sapsis Rigging are two names which come to mind off the top of my head, depending on where you are they may be really close and they are well known professionals and some of the top names in the business.

Give Texas Scenic a call. I have worked on a few systems they have installed and there work is good. There are simply too many variables to contend with when installing a pipe for lighting to do it yourself.

TSC - Theatrical Stage Equipment

Though they are not right in your area, they are at least in your state.

Footer gave the you the correct folks to contact....Texas Scenic in San Antonio.
I used to work as an installation rigger for them and they do excellent work.

...From what I have been reading 1 1/2" (Schedule 60-80) pipe seems common. ...
Does this sound about right? Seems like I have seen larger pipes out there, but not sure. ...
1 1/2" Schedule 40 steel pipe is the most common. Note the 1.5" refers to the I.D. (inside diameter). More important to us is the O.D., which is 1.9". Schedule 80 is used when distance between supports is excessive, or minimum deflection is required. The O.D. is constant at 1.9" whether Schedule 40 or 80. See also Theatre & Stage Equipment Products - Rigging Accessories - Battens.

Agree with others that there are too many variables, and too much risk, involved to recommend or specify over the Internet. See ETCP - The Entertainment Technician Certification Program to help find a Certified Rigger in your area.

Thanks for the great info. We are consulting with an engineer on this, but I would prefer a stage rigger.

I'm loving this forum. Learning tons.

Thanks again!

Yeah, if you have to ask, don't do it.

As far as companies in Texas, avoid Texas Scenic, I have not worked on or with one of their systems in the last 4 years, but before that I regularly worked with at least 7 systems installed by them, and they were all shoddy work at best (and very overpriced). I would go with JR Clancy or PRG.

Mike

Yeah, if you have to ask, don't do it.

As far as companies in Texas, avoid Texas Scenic, I have not worked on or with one of their systems in the last 4 years, but before that I regularly worked with at least 7 systems installed by them, and they were all shoddy work at best (and very overpriced). I would go with JR Clancy or PRG.

Mike

Hmm, never heard bad about that company before. Four years is a world of change in the industry given the rigging certification. Could be the case and I have also seen some chancy installs in the past from other companies, but today its a different ball park and would hope not to reflect ill on any one company.

Worth pricing out amongst many rigging companies a quick web search would get you. This in a start amongst many that might apply: Atlanta Rigging Systems, Entertainment Structures, Fisher Theatrical, Flying by Foy, Grand Stage, LVH Entertainment Systems, Mainstage Theatrical Supply, Reed Rigging, Stage Technologies (Secoa), Sapsis, Stage Rigging, Tiffin Scenic, World Rigging and Chicago Scenic Studios I used to work for years ago amongst no doubt a large list. A few specilize in rigging, a few like Texas Scenic are more theater supplier companies that also do rigging. Compare what's nuts and bolts specified on the quote and buy the "Stage Rigging Handbook" so you can inspect what is being done as its being done I would say a good idea also. Above that, were I hiring a rigging compay I would look for one that on the specification has an engineer signing off on it and certified riggers doing the install these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back