Truss system kit for staging...Better to Sell or Rent?

jrbbase

Hello everyone,

Looking to get advice from owners of truss kits for live performance/ exhibits.
I'm interested in how the Rental market has fared in the current economy.

Are Truss Kits a better investment to Sell or Rent?
Are repeat rentals a minimum?

(Below Structure is a 10 x 10 x 10)

Thank you in advance.

proxy.php

It is easier to buy a kit because a kit is a pre-determined list of ingredients. Of course, you could use the pieces for different things, not just in the shown configuration, although I'm not 100% sure that is true of the particular product you posted. The bases MAY not be stable enough to work in a non-box configuration (goal posts, totems, etc.). Plus, you may not be able to hang much weight on that. Without knowing the particulars of that product, and without knowing what you intend to hang on it, it's impossible to say if it's adequate.

But how quickly you will get your money back, if at all, is a completely different question, and depends on your customer base, how much you charge for it, your cost, etc. And remember that you'll need to factor delivery, set-up, etc., into the equation.

And remember that you'll need to factor delivery, set-up, etc., into the equation.
As an owner, also remember to factor in training and the cost of liability insurance. There have been too many tragic accidents with these types of structures, partially inspiring the Event Safety Alliance and ANSI E1.21-2013: Entertainment Technology — Temporary Structures Used for Technical Production of Outdoor Entertainment Events http://tsp.plasa.org/tsp/documents/published_docs.php .

As to the specific item listed, I question how one safely erects it, lifting the 10'x10' square 10' in the air to put the legs on.

Just send him to youtube. There's tons of videos on how to erect truss. That should be plenty. [/sarcasm]

Last edited:
It is easier to buy a kit because a kit is a pre-determined list of ingredients. Of course, you could use the pieces for different things, not just in the shown configuration, although I'm not 100% sure that is true of the particular product you posted. The bases MAY not be stable enough to work in a non-box configuration (goal posts, totems, etc.). Plus, you may not be able to hang much weight on that. Without knowing the particulars of that product, and without knowing what you intend to hang on it, it's impossible to say if it's adequate.

But how quickly you will get your money back, if at all, is a completely different question, and depends on your customer base, how much you charge for it, your cost, etc. And remember that you'll need to factor delivery, set-up, etc., into the equation.

Thank you. It's been hard finding threads that discuss the rental aspect truss kits.
I believe you're right...I don't really see repeat business from the same client, not when they can purchase the structure afterwards

also, this particular application is best geared towards permanent installation....

Last edited:
As an owner, also remember to factor in training and the cost of liability insurance. There have been too many tragic accidents with these types of structures, partially inspiring the Event Safety Alliance and ANSI E1.21-2013: Entertainment Technology — Temporary Structures Used for Technical Production of Outdoor Entertainment Events http://tsp.plasa.org/tsp/documents/published_docs.php .

As to the specific item listed, I question how one safely erects it, lifting the 10'x10' square 10' in the air to put the legs on.
Thanks, but my question was more about ...Rental versus Selling a truss kit...thanks anyway.

The Truss in the picture is meant as visual reference .

Last edited:
****Re posting for clarity***

Hello everyone,

(Below Structure is a 10 x 10 x 10)

Thank you in advance.

proxy.php
I think rent it first, you can post to facebook, twitter or youtube, so that some more people know your truss kits.
Then you can resell it after using 1-2 years, sometimes the second hand truss kits are popular for someone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back