What type of lighted sign is this?

lightingguy1

Hey CB,

So this show, Club swing, came to my local performing arts center, and they had this cool old timey sign, but I have no clue what type of sign it is. I want to try to build one myself. (It is the one with the light bulbs in it).....

(BTW I do not own this photo)

Thanks....

proxy.php

Looks like festoon fittings to me, probably on a metal framework. Not too difficult to wire up, if you know what you're doing; you'd probably need to get someone to weld up the frame for you. Cabling invisibly is the trickiest part - might be best to do a festoon string per letter for neatness.

For want of a a better term, I'd call it a "marquee sign." Some examples (I don't own any of these photos either):
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

and possibly the most impressive one on film, from the 2002 movie Chicago:
proxy.php

and of course, we can't forget this (much as we try):
proxy.php

Lots of sockets, wiring, and lamps; lots of time and labor. But the results are usually worth it.
Some threads that may be helpful:
http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting/11846-chasing-lights.html
http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting/7178-medium-edison-base-lamp-sockets.html
http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting/13935-question-about-proscenium-lighting.html

And as cool as they look, they usually aren't cheap.

What types of considerations should be made when trying to build a sign like this?
I'm thinking for limited use, special during a show.
Can lamp bases be mounted onto wood? Would that be safe/legal?
Other thoughts that I might not be thinking about?

Thanks in advance!
~Joe

If you are only lighting the sign under its own power, then I would hazard a guess that a hole saw into a flat and back lighting could have the right effect given sufficient distance to the audience and not allowing the audience to see the hot spots of the lamps behind...

Food for thought...

Simple to make. Cut 3/4" plywood to the shape you need ( LETTERS ) use CHANDALIER lamp sockets. SEEN HERE:
Lamp Parts, Lighting Parts, Lamp Glass and Chandelier parts - Grand Brass Lamp parts and lighting parts Super Store

Wireing is simple all black on one side all whiet onteh other and depending only one plug needed.

Use BENDER BOARD to shape the letters to give the letter depth...or if you have a budget take the letters to a metal worker who does duct work and have him shape the letters with a thin metal. You could use thin plexi and heat the bends and paint the whole thing black.

You should be able to do it for a few hunder bucks not including labor and teh amount of sockets at about a buck a piece.

I've built numerous versions using plywood as a base. You use a hole saw to cut the holes for all of the sockets. Keep in mind that once you cut all of these holes in the plywood it is fairly compromised and weak and needs extra structure. As you plan your extra structure you need to take into account your socket location, especially if steel is your extra structure.

Another way of doing it is by laminating plexiglass and then using back light. (Note to Derek, I believe Scott Schecter pictured below worked a number of years in your neck of the woods later in life.)
proxy.php

When I did Assassins I found these to be very useful:

Welcome to Action Lighting - Your One Stop Lighting Shop! Light&Sub=5 Wire Chasing Belt Light & Accessories

You can wire them for a chase or just use them as several circuits, as to decrease the load. The only drawback is that I found the bases to be deaper than most standard bulbs so we had to modify them to get a good contact. If you use a hole saw thru the back of your sign, the fixture will slide right in and stay.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back