Williams Sound intercom system

Skervald

Anyone have experience with Williams Sound transceivers? (These are different from their assisted listening and translation products.) We're in the market for a fully wireless com system and a consultant just presented these as an alternative to ClearCom.

http://www.williamssound.com/digital

Interested in any opinions you may have.

Thanks!

What are your needs? If you need this to interface with hard-wired intercom systems, this won't be the product you want. If you ever see the need for more than 4 users, this isn't a product you want. Do you need a rugged product that will hold up to the abuse of backstage? Again - a product you probably don't want.

It functions marvelously for the applications it was designed for - small intercom needs for corporate events and small closed systems of only a few users.

It is not, however, a system I would put on anyone running around backstage on a show. I would much rather have an older HME Pro800 used than a brand new one of these systems.

Right, I probably should have gone into more detail.

We're looking for communication between SM, light and sound board ops, follow spot ops, and backstage. This is a blackbox space so the performance area, tech booth, audience seating, and back stage areas are constantly being switched around. There is no need for the system to interface with a hard wired system. We do 7-8 productions of our own every year along with a growing number of corporate events and private parties. We also have a company that travels to other venues (many of which are not theaters) to do performances. Portable, wireless communication would be useful for all of these.

Our consultant specked a pre-packaged 6 user kit along with 2 extra transceiver/headset units for us. The literature from the manufacturer states the system, "features full-duplex capability, supports up to four simultaneous talkers in two-way mode, and up to six simultaneous talkers in intercom mode." I understand what full duplex means but what's the difference between two-way mode and intercom mode? I was also told it was possible to add receivers for listen only-applications. (useful for that chatty spot op, right?)

We were also specked a ClearCom Tempest2400 system with 8 beltpacks/headsets. Our request was for ClearCom but the consultant gave us both options. Obviously there is a cost difference between the two but we all know how expensive some of those cost saving options can be.

Thanks for the input!

We've got a system of Williams Digiwave - I think it might be the 200 series, but I'd have to check when I'm in the office, with ~220 receivers.
There have been a handful of teething issues, but on the whole the audio quality has been well received.
I can't make any informed comment on the transceiver capabilities - this system is using them for one way audio only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back