100 dead in blast linked to Pryotechnics

Van

CBMod
CB Mods
Premium Member
Here's a link to the AP story on Yahoo. To sum up apparently a blast ripped through a nightclub in a Russian town of about 1 Mil people. Some are already speculating/comparing this to the NJ night club fire in which 30 People died and scores were injured. At Present there is no offical word about the Pyro being stored improperly, or if this, like the NJ fire was a case of one thing leading to another.

"There were fireworks launched at the scene, and one hit the plastic ceiling, setting all ablaze. People panicked and succumbed to burns, general crush and gas poisoning."

That sounds WAY too familiar. How Sad.

Sounds like a prime reason for having pyrotechnician licensing systems in place and only hiring licensed professionals.
Do you know what goes on in Russia?
I doubt it would do any good, as corruption runs rampant, and the right amount of money buys anything and anyone in the former Soviet Union.

Phillip, you're right. Several of the articles I have read cite numerous occasions over the last few years of tragedies like this ocurring in Factories, sweat shops, housing projects. The corruption amoung Fire enforcement is apparently some of the worst. It's really sad. But for everywhere else in the world, a real pyro-guy is the only way to go.

The USA today story has been updated. Fireworks/pyro may not have been the cause. But who knows how accurate any of it is.

Do you know what goes on in Russia?
I doubt it would do any good, as corruption runs rampant, and the right amount of money buys anything and anyone in the former Soviet Union.

My point was that if your doing this, here is a textbook example of why you should hire someone with a license.

And yahoo news seems to imply that it was the fireworks that setoff what sounds to be a terrible idea for a ceiling: little twigs and branches with plastic behind them. Surely the designer of the place had started a campfire as a kid?

Last edited:
Latest update I've seen is that perhaps it was someone "juggling fireworks" Right after Gymnastics, weightlifting and growing potatos, one of Russias most popular National pastimes.

Apparently something like 4 or 5 people have been arrested in connection with the incident. Including a guy who was injured in the fire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back