2012 Tony Awards

ruinexplorer

Sherpa
CB Mods
Premium Member
Fight Leukemia
Nominations were announced for this year's Tony Awards. Spiderman only received two, for scenic and costume design.
Tony Nominations by Production
Once - 11
The Gershwins’ Porgy and Bess - 10
Nice Work If You Can Get It - 10
Peter and the Starcatcher - 9
Follies- 8
Newsies - 8
Arthur Miller’s Death of a Salesman - 7
One Man, Two Guvnors - 7
Other Desert Cities - 5
Clybourne Park - 4
End of the Rainbow - 3
Evita - 3
Ghost the Musical - 3
Bonnie & Clyde - 2
Don’t Dress for Dinner - 2
Gore Vidal’s The Best Man - 2
Jesus Christ Superstar - 2
Spider-Man Turn Off The Dark - 2
Venus in Fur - 2
Wit - 2
The Columnist - 1
Leap of Faith - 1
The Lyons - 1
Lysistrata Jones - 1
Man and Boy - 1
Master Class - 1
On A Clear Day You Can See Forever - 1
The Road to Mecca - 1
Stick Fly - 1
A Streetcar Named Desire - 1

I'd be shocked if Natasha doesn't win for Follies - that show was some of the most beautiful lighting I've ever seen, and she absolutely deserves the tony for it. Super excited about Newsies, which in the company has about 15+ graduates of my college working and performing in the show [/shameless plug]. I think the noms for Ghost just prove that it's about time we get a Tony for Projection Design. IIRC, neither the scenic design nor the lighting design for Ghost was particularly impressive, however the projections stole the show. I did however only see it during a final dress, so I suppose things could have changed radically. I would have liked to see Lysistrata Jones get a nom for Best Original Score - while the show unfortunately flopped, I thought the score was incredible, and I've been counting down the days (only 13) until the cast album gets released.

Wendall Harrington (the godmother of projection design) discussed the matter of a Tony award for projection design in her article for Lighting and Sound America back in July 2008. Interesting discussion on how media fits into live productions.

Is it at the Beacon again? I was there during load-in and HOLY COW did they cram alot of stuff into that theater....There is virtually no backstage space at The Beacon and they were in there weeks early just trying to get everything to fit!

Is it at the Beacon again? I was there during load-in and HOLY COW did they cram alot of stuff into that theater....There is virtually no backstage space at The Beacon and they were in there weeks early just trying to get everything to fit!

Yes.

mandatory extra characters

I'm assuming most of you already saw it. But the best part of the Tonys was NPH playing around as Spiderman.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back