220V needed from 110V supply

@Lion Heart Play it safe, begin with a 2 pole common trip 15 Amp breaker; (the smallest you'll commonly find) you likely have at least one of these already in your panel.
In my part of Ontario, these would be common for split receptacles in kitchens. In the 1970's, we used to have two splits on a kitchen counter, typically one either side of your sink then usually one more split, possibly behind your refrigerator, or where you might locate two micro-wave ovens.

Back to your lift. Assuming you can locate a two-pole common trip breaker already in your panel, find out what it's currently powering then turn it off, temporarily disconnect it's present load and temporarily use it to power your lift.

If all goes well, buy another two-pole 15 Amp common trip breaker.
If your temporary two-pole 15 trips after five or six runs of your lift, move up to a two pole 20.

You'll almost certainly have a two-pole 30 Amp breaker for your clothes drier and you'll likely already have a two-pole 40 for your kitchen stove.
Canadian Tire and / or Home Depot will likely stock breakers to fit your existing panel.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

2200 kW is about 9.2A at 240V (nominally), assuming an unrealistic perfect power factor of 1.0. A 20A circuit would be the most appropriate, in my estimation; a 15A circuit would almost certainly work, too. (As usual, the actual power consumption depends largely on the load applied to the motor.)

As soundman alludes to, the breaker size, minimum wire size, and socket type / rating are all considered together. At least here in the US, you'd typically use a two pole 20A breaker, 12/2 plus ground wire/cable, and a NEMA 6-20R (flat blade) or L6-20R (twist-lock) receptacle. For a 15A circuit, the receptacle would be a NEMA 6-15R or L6-15R, and the wire no smaller than AWG 14 (i.e. 14/2 plus ground NM-B cable or whatever is appropriate for the location). The codes might be slightly different in Canada, so don't take this as absolutely correct where you are. A decent hardware or electrical supply store should be able to provide reasonable advice on what to get; this isn't a particularly oddball situation, but something that's not uncommon in shops for tools or for some larger window or in-wall air conditioners.

Your original post said 25 amps at 220. I didn't see or cant tell but looks like a 2 hp motor. If that is the case, at least a 20 amp breaker, 25 or 30. Start up at max load will be double or more the idling load. And then design wiring to match breaker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back