A tad "unusual"

Ah.. Italian. I should have figured that out by the name. That explains why I've never heard of it. But part of M.R. huh? .

Oh Baby, Baby (that's a clue), I should have phrased it as "Desisti is the Italian equivalent of Mole-Richardson".

SB

Desisti is normally distributed thru TechniLux and their distributers in the US (While missing as a brand from their webstie and possibly at this point offered from another source). It’s one of a few movie lighting fixture companies from around the world that in the Mole Richardson world of knowing about, stage fixture experienced types don’t often hear of in often by way of “studio fixture brands” - very different types of gear used in the movie industry, Desisti as well as perhaps Bambino from Strand, it’s another brand.

A few years ago in considering all options (before the BP-2 came out) available for Beam Projectors, we went with Reiche & Vogul Revolux/Bright Beam R&V Beamlights at the time. A different and completely other Euro company one should know about also by way of fixtures - and this brand has a really long history.

A caution of course is always what’s listed as a HPL lamp in coming from a foreign or even domestic source. A while ago there were lots of fixtures citing and even in theory using the HPL (ETC tradmark and pattent) lamp for their own - this even if using in reality a HX-600. Unless ETC approves of the fixture and a certain amount of say “design fees” are provided for the use of that lamp, it’s not using that lamp. Just bought a bunch of 12-lite PAR 64 Mole light like fixtures for a tour. They are using HPL lamps but that company specifically paid ETC for the use of their lamp.

Very possible that there are Fresnels from Desisti using HPL lamps - easy lamp to use in the Fresnel concept. For all I know it’s possible and a decent brand of fixture also. Wait one year on lamps being used or five in a lamp development type of concept that doesn’t say anything beyond what’s not advertised yet. This not specifically for beam projectors but could be used in them.

... wait a minute... 2Kw Beam projectors, believe we for a later tour bought into the 5Kw Mole Richardson Beam Projectors. Amazing how light weight they are and for beam, yep that’s a beam projector yet in some ways not as per the classic small 14" beam I was used to. Amazing how light they were in Mole having gone aluminum these days while still keeping to old concepts in design.

Used Mole fixtures on the net, them's fun to tinker with.

I'm an Aussie TD at a small 302 seat venue... We've got a thrust style stage with not alot of backstage space... I've found that I like to use a Pacific and 1K Fresnel pair with some frost over it (Weird, I know). I wouldn't have thought that it would give me such a clean, punchy wash... Looks great. I've repeated the method a couple of times now... I love my par's for backlight though... Probably because 1. We don't have much else (I generally use my Fresnels for front light) 2. The Oval shaped beam helps me to get around our strange stage shape well :) and 3. It's powerful and punchy. I Love em!

I'm a huge fans of both fresnels and PAR's. S4 pars are OK in my book for the most part.

I think that trim heights make a difference in what designers use (If they had the ability to choose Fresnels or PARS for back/top light). At my college theatre, we typically max out at 20' trims or so because we only have a 17' proscenium opening, and a 6 inch fresnel backlight system looks tasty. Out in Logan, UT though at UFO, PAR 64's are used almost exclusively. Out trim for the electrics is usually 32'+, at which point that a 6 inch fresnel doesn't have nearly the output at that height compared to a PAR 64.

In short, I think that the facility often dictates what fixtures that a designer can use a majority of the time.

I recently started using the Osram NSP ALUPAR 1000W lamps - not only are they lighter than the regular PAR64 lamps they are also significantly cheaper. I noticed an interesting characteristic they produce a round pool of light instead of an oval pool you normally see from a PAR64. Looking carefully at the front I realised that the lamp inside is not the linear ampoule of the traditional PAR but more of a conventional ampoule almost like an axially mounted lamp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back