Artist's Choice or Basic Latex

SunbirdTD

I am doing a quote for a local Non-Profit who needs Nutcracker growing tree and was wondering about passing along the extra cost of the Rosco Artist's Choice for the paint. It will be used about 5 times per year, and will store in a box accordian style. I'm not sure about the temperature they will be storing it in, but I want to paint it to last so they do not have to worry about it chipping and flaking over the years.

Do you think there is enough elasticity in a basic latex or should I suggest they spring for the higher quality paint.

Many Thanks,
Shannon (SunbirdTD)

Depeneding on the style of the painting, I've never really had an issue using our regional leading manufacturers Latex paint <Miller>. We often Augment colors and certain treatments with Rosco's super sats and others but the base has always been local slop.

My concern with latex is how much stiffness and weight it adds... when I did a similar project, I used the Rosco for the major base color(s) because I could thin it down so much more without losing intensity with the color, and did the rest of the colors with thinned latex. Looked beautiful, and the fabric didn't stiffen as much as it would have with straight latex.

Yes, I was concerned about stiffness and cracking over time. New issue. The fly space is only going to allow the tree to grow about 5 ft. ( 6'-11'. ) So now I'm brainstorming a roll drop. I'd love to find something prebuilt that is not more than 12' wide or a few thousand dollars. But I was also thinking of modifying a remote control winch. Too loud? Thoughts welcome!!!

Yes, I was concerned about stiffness and cracking over time. New issue. The fly space is only going to allow the tree to grow about 5 ft. ( 6'-11'. ) So now I'm brainstorming a roll drop. I'd love to find something prebuilt that is not more than 12' wide or a few thousand dollars. But I was also thinking of modifying a remote control winch. Too loud? Thoughts welcome!!!
Go the other way... pneumatic piston and a dimensional fabric tree.

One of the local nutcracker's has a freestanding tree built around a cheap crank up light stand that they have been using for a couple of decades. I'm sure they didn't spend more than a couple of hundred for all the materials in today's dollars.

They definitely seem to want a painted drop that can fill the height of the proscenium opening (Roughly 17') and it needs to fly out completely. But as I mentioned the fly space is only about 23', so if it's attached with scenery netting, it limits the growth effect of the tree. If anyone has done a kind of hybrid roll drop attached to an electric, I'd love your ideas. The power will be there. I don't want to try to rig anything so complex that would involve raising and lowering it with the different channels like you would use in smart light. That's why I thought a winch with a remote would make it simpler for winding. Then attaching a long fabric spool or rigid pvc pipe, rigged to a wheel in the opposite side of a box could do the trick. Does this at least seem sound to you more experienced fabricators out there? Thanks Much!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back