Back/Down Lighting with Color Force 48" Ever done it?

jbart74

Hey All,

I'm thinking about trying to use some Chroma Q Color Force 48's as a backlight system for an opera. (Because they are new in this venue's inventory and there is only one night cyc in all three hours of the opera -- The rest is interior scenes) I've used the units extensively as cyc and wall washes but never in a downlight or backlight situation. I'm just curious if anyone here has and what was your experience? If I give this a shot, I'd be using 48" units on 8'-6" spacing (my best guess) at a 20'-0" trim with the CYC lens installed. Just not sure how the photometrics and intensities will play out for me. Thanks for your replies.

John Bartenstein
Lighting Designer

I've used the 48" fixtures with varying results - but almost always good - in several applications: Footlights, floor cycs (usually front, but once with an RP screen), Top cycs, banner lighting, curtain lighting for the main drape, front wash from the bridge position (19' or so trim height, 3' from the plaster line), and top/back lights - even as side lighting on floor booms. I find in most circumstances they work better with the diffusion (cyc lens?) in, but there's a cost - they spread well. Too well, almost. It's my biggest complaint about them (besides not having more of them, I mean).

In the bridge position I mentioned above, four units are covering a 40' wide proscenium edge to edge, evenly, with a 2.5' gap between each unit. I think they're impressively punchy as well, and even the more saturated colour mixes sing. I suspect I'd get useful levels were I to go to three units across the same spacing. They spread well side-to-side, too, so I'd recommend keeping them closer to centre than where you might normally be inclined. I'd ballpark their spread top to bottom at about 36 degrees, and side to side at about 50-60, with the diffusion in. YMMV.

If you can make use of set/cloth goods/architecture to control your beams, I'm sure you'll be pleased with their performance, if you have the requisite number of fixtures to cover your space.

In the bridge position I mentioned above, four units are covering a 40' wide proscenium edge to edge, evenly, with a 2.5' gap between each unit. I think they're impressively punchy as well, and even the more saturated colour mixes sing. I suspect I'd get useful levels were I to go to three units across the same spacing. They spread well side-to-side, too, so I'd recommend keeping them closer to centre than where you might normally be inclined. I'd ballpark their spread top to bottom at about 36 degrees, and side to side at about 50-60, with the diffusion in. YMMV.

If you can make use of set/cloth goods/architecture to control your beams, I'm sure you'll be pleased with their performance, if you have the requisite number of fixtures to cover your space.

Thanks for the reply Jonathan. Lots of good info there. Sounds like I may be able to make this work. I've arranged an hour in the venue tomorrow with the house electrician to play with them on a Lineset at trim and see for myself. I appreciate the idea of keeping them a little closer to center. That makes sense. And I do have a great set to contain the light for this production so that will help as well. Again, thanks a lot and I'll let you know how it works out.

If anyone else would like to chime in, please, let me hear your thoughts as well.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back