Beware of Lurex

Our wonderful costumes designers at our theater decided to use a new Lurex fabric for our Jewish Religous Leaders in our new show. They look great, but:

Quote from Wiki:

"Lurex is the registered brand name of The Lurex Company, Ltd. for a type of yarn with a metallic appearance. The yarn is made from synthetic film, onto which a metallic aluminium, silver, or gold layer has been vaporised."

Key word: METALLIC

This has caused some havoc with our Shure ULXD transmitters. It's caused a lot of RF drop-outs early on. We had to have our actors pull their transmitters out from under their inner layer, so it's 1 less layer to penetrate through. This did help make it useable with only occasional drops, although the RF is consistenly fluctuating.

Not positive about this yet, but it seems like we had more issues the lower freguency is. Maybe the shorter wavelength can squeeze through the gaps a little better.

I had some trouble with our understudy actor whose mic is at 471mghz. I put him on a different temp pack at 578mghz and it was much better.

I guess the Lurex would be fine in smaller strips, but as a primary layer it can cause problems.

Guess everybody is out to get us now. Cheers

Glenn

I think you're on to something! No longer actors in costumes, they're mobile Faraday tents! Don't tell Equity...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back