Build a Telex Radio interface?

I just want to confirm this. You want the two-way radios to be able to hear the Com system and talk to the Com system?

That would involve two (more likely three) circuits to strip the audio off of the XLR, balance it into the two-way radio, take the signal from the radios and integrate it back into the XLR. Also, unless you want your radios to be in listen only mode, you'll have to build a gate that will shut off the signal going to the radios when the signal on Com drops below a certain threshold.

I don't know about the OP, but that's what I would like to do! We have both a hardwired Telex system and two-way radios (old MT1000s). I would love to have the option to interconnect them. That way, the radios could function like wireless Telex units, supporting two-way communication between wireless and wired systems.

Yes, its possible to do, how is the real issue.

However, our friends at Production Intercom have a great solution: AD913- Production Intercom Inc.

Its something I have wanted to get for my venue for awhile. Anything transmitted on the radio system is put on the com system and if a person on com presses the call button they can speak to the radio system. Pretty cool in my opinion, especially for around 300 bucks.

Last edited:
I don't know the technical specifics of how audio is carried on our Telex intercom system. I don't know how to best interface with it. You would also need a VOX circuit, but that's not too hard to build. Being a ham operator, I'd enjoy tackling a project like this! For $300, I can probably build what I need once I figure out how to interface with the Telex. Interfacing with a radio shouldn't be too hard. Of course, you would have to give up one of your handhelds or buy an extra to use at the interface point.

To make this work correctly, you would have to make sure that the headset users didn't keep their unit on talk all the time, or the VOX wouldn't release the transmitter. I don't know about your folks, but my crew seems to have a bad habit of leaving the talk button on all the time.

However, our friends at Production Intercom have a great solution: AD913- Production Intercom Inc.

This is exactly what you want to purchase. I'm all for DIY projects, but if you're going to begin to rely on this method to run shows, you have got to have a lot of confidence in your project. I did some quick calculations on the circuits that you'll need to build and the cost of components, project box, power supply and cost of coffee, solder, etc. and came to about $210.

Try to get your school to purchase it, and suggest it as an alternative to a $15,000 wireless com system.

Yeah, I suppose you are right. For around $400 including shipping, that's not all that expensive.

Yes, its possible to do, how is the real issue.

Its something I have wanted to get for my venue for awhile. Anything transmitted on the radio system is put on the com system and if a person on com presses the call button they can speak to the radio system. Pretty cool in my opinion, especially for around 300 bucks.

We purchased this, only to run into issues. Anyone get it working with a Telex system? I called their support and they claim support only for use with a PI system. Any ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back