Building Integrated Track Platforms

randoturbo33

Hi guys,

I've recently been tasked with building some track platforms for use with a dog-and-knife track system. There are 3 tracks in the show that run the full width of the stage. For various reasons, we want to avoid the typical approach of having the track be made from two separate platforms with a gap between them and just running the dog on the floor - rather, the track should be integrated into one platform and contain an internal "shelf" that the dog will run on. I have a large budget, highly skilled carpenters, and can use both wood and steel, whichever would be better. The deck needs to be 6" tall to the top of the lid.

I've never built something like this, so I'm looking for input and advice, and maybe even sample plans for how people have done it in the past. I believe that touring productions often use tracks like these, so some input from that world would be awesome as well. I've been playing with various ideas for a few days, but I'd really appreciate input from someone who's done this before in order to head off some of the numerous problems that I'm sure will arise.

Thanks!

I've seen that CC drawing, but it's basically just your standard go-to track system which doesn't work for me, primarily because of the two separate deck sections. The majority of the deck is made up of stock 1x6 platforms with rails ripped to 5-1/4", so I'd prefer to build something to that height to make it easier to line up, rather than building a lower-profile platform or triscuit and jacking it up on legs or studwalls.

I'd offer a word of caution about the "shelf". I did a show once where we used a manual winch to drive tracked platforms. We had a "shelf" like you described that the dog ran along. The flaw is that we created a closed, inaccessible space that anything could fall into through the slot in the deck. So bobby pins and little balls of spike tape etc. landed in there, had no where to go, and jammed up the dog, which was made to a tight tolerance in the track. If I did it again I'd leave some hole or gap at the bottom so debris could fall through rather than just sit there in the way...

There a way of doing dog tracks in 3/4" of depth. Some placesuse 3/4" particle board orMDF as the top layer of the stage. You can then cut a 5" wide (I think) "trench" out of that layer. Into that trench, you install two track pieces. Hardwood is best for durability, but MDF will do in a pinch. One piece is 3.5 or 4" wide and has a notch cut in the bottom for cable return. The other is just 1" or so wide. The dog runs between these. If your track is curved, you should bevel the sides of the track (undercut) so the wire can't hop out of the track under tension.

In this, the dog has to be small. Probably milled from a piece of 1/2" x 3/8" flat steel. It has places for the cable to attach via stop sleeves and a slot for the knife.

There is a type of aircraft sheave you can use for the turnaround at the end that attaches flat to the deck and is only 3/4" thick. I'd have to do some searching. Or you can make one.

I'm sure there are a few niceties I'm missing (it's been a while) but that's the gist.

Screen Shot 2016-03-17 at 4.19.40 PM.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-03-17 at 4.11.57 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-03-17 at 4.11.57 PM.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 170
  • Screen Shot 2016-03-17 at 4.17.16 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-03-17 at 4.17.16 PM.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 179

Users who are viewing this thread

Back