Business Cards!

gafftapegreenia

CBMod
CB Mods
So, now that I'm back in the freelance world, I realize I need my own personal business cards. The fact that I never have before is actually somewhat embarrassing, so don't tease me too hard. Ideally, I would like my card to be something unique, useful or memorable; more than just the standard template of free online services. I've been toying with a few ideas, looking at the Backstage Handbook for inspiration, and considering the cards that DO live in my wallet (The Field Template Business Card and the Controlbooth.com reference card), but I just haven't had that bolt of inspiration yet. I've really been trying to avoid some of the more cheesy designs. So, I was wondering if anyone might be willing to share some inspiration, or even their own card if they feel so comfortable. For reference, I typically market myself as a Lighting Technician and Scenic Carpenter.

I'm not a fan of weird business card shapes and sizes. They do get attention, but they are too hard to keep on file and get tossed out. I say go with a standard card template but use a cool and unique theater related photo to make it stand out.

Do any of you CB photography guys have some cool shots you are willing to share with my Gaff-brother?

My 2 pet hates for business cards:
1) Glossy Finishes
2) Both sides completely full

Both of these are about me being able to write a note or two on the back of the card - soemthing that lets me connect your card with some memory of my encounter with you...

Mine are vertical, that keeps them being the normal shape but makes them a little different, even with the online services you can upload a background and still use elements of theirs to make something pretty nice. Or create the whole file yourself and just upload an image of what you created and skip their layout software.

Via tapatalk

While attending international tradeshows face time is at a premium. When trying to jot notes on one's shiny, crammed packed biz card- it gets a bit tricky. To alleviate this problem our cards are also vertical like josh88's with lines on the back for notes.
I keep a baby Sharpy on my lanyard just in case though!

(And for the enterprising freelancer, don't forget you can get 250 free custom business cards from www.vistaprint.com and only pay shipping. I got 250 custom cards for a total of $8.50 shipping/handling and they look great!)

Thanks for all the tips so far!

You also might want to consider rounded edges on the card. Makes it we easier to fit in your wallet.

I went with a really cool card from Morning Print so it is a clear plastic where any white fill renders as a clear section on the card. So that my HPL bulb as well as contact info is see through. Readability is good and the scale works well. It is thinner than regular cards, but is credit card sized, so it fits better in a wallet. Even though it is thinner, it is more durable, because it is plastic. It also has rounded corners which are really nice as well. about $40 for 250 - but it is a marketing expense as a freelancer.

Attachments

• HPL for internet.jpg
    HPL for internet.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 61
I've used both Vistaprint and Moo, and I think Moo has a far superior product - with an understandable price increase. I agree, being too original with one's card is dangerous. A designer I work for has a business card that's square-shaped and is just a large letter "P" (first letter of his name), with contact info on the back. A terrible card by anyone's standards, but he's far past the point in his career where he really needs to rely on business cards, so it works. My current card is black with white lettering on the front - very simple, just my name, title, and contact info, as well as current city (New York). The back has small section of a color-inverted light plot with the fixtures artistically blurred. I really like it, although as others have pointed out, it does make it impossible for people to write notes on my card. But the trade-off is that I have a card that stands out because of color, but isn't too ridiculous. By going with Moo and avoiding the lowest-budget choices, I've created a very high quality card that fits well in a wallet and is extremely sturdy and built with excellent craft, which causes it to stand out in a positive way. For an image, I've considered angled photos of plots, photos looking down a Source Four at a blurred stage, a packed electric or dance tower, or things like that.

I went with a really cool card from Morning Print...
Another recommendation for Morning Print. They have some great paper options, and i feel like paper is one of the best ways to make your card stand out without resorting to odd sizes or shapes or extreme flashiness. (I guess my Graphic Design BA was good for something. Ha)

Personally, I don't mind the gloss, depending on the card. I have found that some cards can become difficult to read (due to rubbing) if the inks or paper is sub-standard. The gloss can protect that. I either use marker or ball-point pen, so writing on them is not a problem. I do recommend leaving area on the card for people to write on (I prefer the entire back).

I do like being able to write on the back of the card but at least in my world I don't see many people with Rolodex's of business cards on their desk anymore and I think in many cases the relevant information gets entered in Outlook or whatever you use for contacts then the card goes in a drawer or in the trash. I have to admit that I don't even usually pay much attention to the layout or design, I just want to be able to easily find and read the relevant information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back