Vintage Lighting Can Anyone Identify this Old Control Box?

ixtore

This is a set blueprint from the wheelhouse of the Nautilus from the film '20,000 Leagues Under the Sea'. This is a 'gizmo' that looks somewhat like a slot machine, but is supposedly an old lighting control box. Has anyone ever seen this equipment or know the name of the manufacturer?
I belong to a site: www.nautilussubmarine.com which is focused, primarily, on the Nautilus from Disney's movie of 20KLUTS. This prop is often discussed as the great unknown object in the wheelhouse. This seems like the most knowledgeable forum I've come across, so thought someone here might be able to shed some light on it. Thanks to all in advance for your help.

The photo to the right of the blueprint barely shows the box in the background. The 'mystery' comes partly from the fact that the piece is barely seen in the film. It sits behind the circular contraption on the left.

Attachments

• Nautilus Snip 6 Wheelhouse Control Box.JPG
    Nautilus Snip 6 Wheelhouse Control Box.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 695
  • Screen Cap Control Box.jpg
    Screen Cap Control Box.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 323
Last edited:
Looks kinda like an old piano board combined with the controls of a saltwater dimming system, but it would be easier to tell with a clearer image, that one doesn't have the resolution and too many lines running through it. Do you have an original ? or an image from a scene with the item in it ?

Van,
Thank you for the quick reply!
I've added a screen grab that barely shows the edge of the box.
I know someone that has a set still taken during production that shows the image pretty clearly, but so far have not been able to reach him to get his permission to use the pic. When I do, I will add the picture.
What you've given me may help.
Many thanks,
Richard

Nautilus Control Box Set Still.jpg
Here is the photo I just received the okay to post.
The control box is on the lower right of the photo. The bottom half was constructed by the prop department - so only the top half is the actual lighting instrument.
This is the best photo of the contraption in existence, as far as I can tell.

It really looks totally klujged. The top piece might have started out as three resistance plate dimmers < those could be stacked and ganged together > but the case and the tying together of the two handles on the right side and the two arms comming out of each end, aren't part of any classic lighting control that I've ever seen. Now the big switch just to the left of your control box is definately electrical in nature. Made for switching big loads the round bits around the outperimeter are carbon contacts that connect to a contact on the under side of the handle. I want to say I saw one like that in a Frenkenstein movie, but Metropolis comes to mind as well.

Van,

Thank you for your insight. I will pass it along to the others at the Nautilus site.
As with many set props, each may have multiple parts cobbled together for a 'look'.
It is great to hear from one who knows.

Best,

Richard

Well, we might want to wait for a couple of other 'Old Timers' to weigh in, but you're welcome. It's a great looing piece though, and it's the definition of Steam Punk. I may have to pull up some old production stills to forward to our Resident Scenic Designer who is currently working on "sherlock Holmes and the case of the Christmas Carrol" it's all SP and cool.

I agree with Van that it looks like something the "dressers" as props in the movies is called, kludged together.

Given the era of the film I would guess old Mole Richardson gear, as that was primarily what the Hollywood film folks used and resistance plates, even single dimmer units, were common from MR.

Did anyone see the old resistance plate dimmers in the USO scenes in Captain America? I spied some Olivettes in one scene as well.

Also I thought the chromed 6" Fresnels, the ones that were used in clusters in the Hydra mountain base were post 1940's in introduction?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back