Can you guys make me a hero?

JChenault

My sister has asked me a question about sound equipment. This is a field I am clueless about so I am hoping for guidance.

easiest if I just copy her email. ( Coles a high school student )

can you advise about recording equipment for home recording for voice over demos? Cole wants to start experimenting, and has asked for some equipment for b'day / xmas. he's researched & asked some people he knows; has foundsweetwater.com & believes it to be a reputable site. he's asking for a large diaphragm condensor mic w/ pop shield & shock mount (Rode NT1-A), and closed headphones Sennheiser HS 280). The computer he has does not have editing capabilities, but he says he can get a demo edited by other means to begin with & editing capability is not essential to begin with

Any advice from the folks who understand this stuff?

Thanks

hi John.. I'm a home-studio guy and produder/vocalist myself. You really cannot go wrong with http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/NT1AAnniv

they seem to have some seriously good pricing going at the moment that I'd say to jump on.

It is: Large-diaphragm Cardioid Condenser Mic with Shockmount, Pop Shield, XLR Cable, Dust Cover, and Instructional DVD for the good price of $229 USD. That's great value and sweetwater is very reputable. You see those mics all over the place in studios.

A decent set of cans will cost around $100-$200 on top of that.

_Every_ computer has editing capabilities if it can record audio. AUDACITY is free multi-track audio editing software that runs on PC or MAC.

You'll _ALSO_ need an audio interface (external soundcard) something like this : (Around $100) http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AudioBoxUSB (comes with recording software, too)

....that can power that mic and send the audio into a computer for recording.. and can also power the headphones.

$500 was an awful lot of house-chores-worth when I was a young'n! :)

A USB mic is a great suggestion, however the sound quality of the Blue Snowball isn't all that good. It has an oddly placed midrange peak and all of the visual charm of talking into an old softball on a stick.

I have used and recommend the Rode NT-USB. It has a very neutral, natural, clean sound with little proximity boost. It also solves a big monitoring problem. It has an internal mixer and headphone amp which allows the user to hear themselves with zero latency, because the audio doesn't have to make a return trip through the computer. The controls are also simple and logical.

For inexpensive audio editing software, look at Wavepad from NCH. The Sennheiser HD-280 cans are fine, as are Sony MDR-7506 phones. The Sonys have replaceable parts, which is nice when the earpads turn to dust, which all simulated leather seems to do.

Last edited:
Its been a little while since I've had to get new gear, but I've done a fair amount of purchases through Full Compass. Not sure how they compare price-wise, but I've never had an issue with them and have a solid selection. It used to be I could call up Garth at Pacific Pro Audio in Seattle, but they closed up shop a few years back. Last I heard he was with Seattle Pro Audio, but (like I mentioned) its been a while. Best of luck!

A USB mic is a great suggestion, however the sound quality of the Blue Snowball isn't all that good. It has an oddly placed midrange peak and all of the visual charm of talking into an old softball on a stick.

I have used and recommend the Rode NT-USB. It has a very neutral, natural, clean sound with little proximity boost. It also solves a big monitoring problem. It has an internal mixer and headphone amp which allows the user to hear themselves with zero latency, because the audio doesn't have to make a return trip through the computer. The controls are also simple and logical.

For inexpensive audio editing software, look at Wavepad from NCH. The Sennheiser HD-280 cans are fine, as are Sony MDR-7506 phones. The Sonys have replaceable parts, which is nice when the earpads turn to dust, which all simulated leather seems to do.

I'll second the Sony MDR 7506's as great all round starter and life long headphones.

the Blue Microphones Yeti (or Pro) might be a better starting point to see if they keep with it. It's a USB microphone so there is no need for the added Interface and is pretty solid as a starter with out a shock mount or pop filter. I'm a fan of both Audacity. and Reaper (which is a free forever, or a 60$ if you want to bypass the wait 15 seconds before you start the program after two weeks dialogue)

I'll second the Sony MDR 7506's as great all round starter and life long headphones.

the Blue Microphones Yeti (or Pro) might be a better starting point to see if they keep with it. It's a USB microphone so there is no need for the added Interface and is pretty solid as a starter with out a shock mount or pop filter. I'm a fan of both Audacity. and Reaper (which is a free forever, or a 60$ if you want to bypass the wait 15 seconds before you start the program after two weeks dialogue)

From there you graduate to the Rode NT1, I nice little 3 fold Foam desk wall, and Scarlett 4i6. :)

Then it's Protools and Avid HDX system, with EV-RE20, or Nuemanm; when they can pay for it themselves :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back