Outboard Gear CD player - face plate not connecting to player hardware

tknelms

I've come into contact with a Denon DN-4500 cd player:
IMG_0059.JPGIMG_0061.JPG

My company had not saved the cord to connect the face plate to the cd player proper. I picked up a separate one.
The plug looks like this: IMG_0058.JPG. It is the only connection point on the face plate.

However, at this point, the face plate is not communicating to the rest of the player. The CD player component turns on, and is able to open and close its tray with the button on the player. And while the face plate receives power from the CD player (a few LED's come on), it does not connect in any other fashion; the display on the face plate displays nothing, and no buttons in any order garner any response.

Does anyone have any experience with these or similar players who might be able to help me get this CD player back in working order?

No experience with the recorder, but the cables I have used with that connector were for computer applications. Serial cables on old macs for printers etc., and midi port to serial connections on P.C's.

Depending on the platform and use, the cable pins were wired in a different sequence. It drove me nuts. It is possible your cable is wired differently than the equipment you have. Can you find a manual with the proper pin assignments? Might be as easy as snipping an end, and crossing some wires, or something else could be faulty with the equipment.

No reason a standard 8 pin Mini DIN terminated cable shouldn't work if that's all it needs.

Amazon.com: C2G / Cables to Go 02318 8-pin Mini-Din Male/Male Serial Cable, Charcoal (10 Feet/ 3.04 Meters): Electronics

You are making the assumption that Denon's cable is wired the same as this serial cable. There is a good chance it isn't. Many serial cables are not wired straight through, nor do we know if that's what the machine needs. The only way to ensure getting a cable that will work is to buy it from Denon, since we don't have one to ohm-out.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back