Chroma-Q

I would not expect the DMX Output/Pass-Thru to be optically isolated from the DMX Input. The scroller outputs might be. If you have a PSU, it's easy to verify. From the wiki entry opto-splitter:
Some opto-splitters just provide electrical isolation between the input and the outputs, but the best types have a separate transformer-isolated power supply or DC-to-DC converter for the input and each of the outputs. This provides isolation between each and every data link entering the unit. A quick way to tell if a unit has this type of isolation: With the unit unplugged from power and data links, run a dc continuity check with a VOM between pin 1 on each of the data links. If it's an open circuit to all other pin 1's, the link has full isolation.

I can tell you with 110% certainty that they are NOT...
DMX bugs down the line (or, for that matter, any nasty voltage issues,) will affect PSU's further back 'up' the chain.

(I'm assuming the 'Chroma Q PSU' to which you're referring is the Chroma Q branded PS08... As the PS02 has no 'DMX Out/Thru'... It being a simple 5-Pin DMX -> 4-Pin converter, with a voltage 'injection' on the +/- pins)

Also, Spectrum/AC Lighting *should* have been able to tell you... I'm a little puzzled that they weren't able to...

Last edited:
I am getting my hands on some original chroma-q's and am not familiar with the units. Do they have fans? If so, can I control the fans from an ETC Express?

I am getting my hands on some original chroma-q's and am not familiar with the units. Do they have fans? If so, can I control the fans from an ETC Express?
The units do have fans, but no, you cannot control them. If I recall correctly, they don't have any sort of sensor or anything. If the PSU is on then the fans are on. They are super simplistic (which can be good because that means less to go wrong). They are effectively a DMX controlled DC motor on one roller and tension on the other roller.

I've got two generations of the Chroma Qs. The ones with dip switch addresses, you can't adjust the fan. The digital control ones, you can set the fan to high, medium or low using the same controls as setting the DMX address. The instructions (albeit abridged) should be printed right on the unit in a small square beside the controls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back