ClearCom Call Light Issue

willbb123

We are having issues with our ClearCom system. Randomly during shows the call light will turn on, and stay on for a few min. Sometimes there is an audible click, similar to when someone plugs in a pack. We've noticed that it happens when someone has there mic locked on.

Our Base station (CS-222) is in the spot booth in the rear of the theater, and there are hard wired runs throughout the entire space. For our show earlier today we had 6 packs (model 501) plugged in.

Any ideas? Where should I start troubleshooting?

One common reason I've encountered for the call light coming on is someone touching the pass through connector on the bottom of the pack and shorting out the pins. I've had this problem with both RS-501 and RS-601 packs. (same problem should happen with the 502 and 602s) It has also happened after a pack has been abused for too long and a loose connection inside the pack shorts when it is moved.

Bad cable, finger shorting out a box, bad box (we have one that emits a high pitched squeal when you plug it in) we had a small amount of water in our pit and that shorted out the whole system. Try unplugging them one at a time. Also are you sure that a tech didn't accidentally press the button to call when they wanted to talk. As far as error codes just check the power supply box to see if anything bad is lit up. (DC supply etc...)

Studio said:
Bad cable, finger shorting out a box, bad box (we have one that emits a high pitched squeal when you plug it in) we had a small amount of water in our pit and that shorted out the whole system. Try unplugging them one at a time. Also are you sure that a tech didn't accidentally press the button to call when they wanted to talk. As far as error codes just check the power supply box to see if anything bad is lit up. (DC supply etc...)

We have a few that squeal, and word on what causes that?

Additionally, we have one box that makes all the call lights go on, though that's as soon as you plug it in and it stays on for the duration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Improper line termination also does funny things to the call lights. When we reconfigured the clearcom at my church, call signals would hang on the line for extended periods until I switched in the proper termination. Clearcom main stations have line length jumper settings that need to be looked at as well. Take a look at the manual for you main station, if it's Clearcom the manual is pretty good about explaining proper system design.

I ran into this on a production I did this summer. The call light would come on whenever walkie talkies were used (SM used to communicate with house staff). I don't know if that helps you, but this thread goes to show that there are many reasons why the call light may be coming on.

-Sean

Users who are viewing this thread

Back