CO2 blast psi?

Lsly

Hello CBers!

Just wondering what is the nominal psi for a CO2 blast effect. We have a 50lbs tank, it says it's a siphon but not sure if it is, and we are not getting a good effect. hoses are about 10', and we are using a ball valve for manual control. There is a 100psi regulator inline and I'm not sure that is working for us. I seem to remember that you need twice that, but it has been awhile since I've had to make one of these....

Thanks,

Lsly
ETCP CEE #624

For a CO2 Blast effect usually there is not a regulator at all.
Just a valve, similar to a Co2 fire extinguisher.

For a CO2 Blast effect usually there is not a regulator at all.
Just a valve, similar to a Co2 fire extinguisher.

This is true for club level effects but on Broadway tours and more hi end shows we use a regulator. I believe it is more about extending the life of the gas and not so much a safety issue. But thanks for the reply. We are getting good effect without the regulator now.

LS

Most of the touring shows I've loaded in didn't care about how much gas they used. They don't carry it, and have to pay for full bottles at every venue anyway.

Depends on the Jets you are using. Syphon tanks are usually 800-1000PSI, with a regulator you might be losing the liquid, which is what creates the gas plume as it expands at room temperature.
Try removing the regulator, BUT only if the jet is designed and rated for liquid operation, are you using high pressure liquid hose? it usually has a metal braiding around the outside, try shortening the hose or insulating it with some foam pipe insulation.

Sidenote: Always check your tanks for what they contain. Turn the nozzle away from yourself and anyone near you, open the valve, and look at the escaping gas, if it is a tight thick white jet then there is liquid in the tank. If it is just a big white cloud then there is only gas in the tank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back