Control/Dimming consoles

What kind if performance will this be used for? What's the budget (numbers, please)? Do you have any requirements as to what you're looking for?

rock and roll mostly outdoor shows town fairs and such. my rig is 64k, 12 racks of acl and 16 trackspots. Nsi 9800's and a lepp 1600. Got about $2000 to spend.

i have not worked with a Leprecon, but it says it has strong moving light capabilities, so it might work nice for your project. It looks quite expensive though, unless you found a used one?

I'm not a huge fan of the ETC Smartfade. However, the Smartfade ML has a couple of fans around here that have used it for a similar application and really like it... and it's in your budget.

Smartfade fans where are you?

I'm not a huge fan of the ETC Smartfade. However, the Smartfade ML has a couple of fans around here that have used it for a similar application and really like it... and it's in your budget.

Smartfade fans where are you?

Right here!

I love the Smartfade ML. However, it only has 48 channels defined as dimming channels. But there should be a way around this!

I love the Smartfade ML though, I don't know why so many people hate it. For the user environment it's designed for (ie not theatre but busking stuff live on conventional rigs with some movers and LEDs), it's amazing. The instant access to everything is wonderful, and I find it very easy to run things live. I used it to run a mixed rig with 4x MAC250 Entour, a bunch of LED pars, and a some regular PAR46s, pinspots, punch lighting, and regular PARs for frontlight. I loved it; it was just right for the gig. I want one to do the gigs I'm currently running on an MC7532 that goes in to the DMX in of an old MLC16D to control a small mixed rig of scanners, conventionals, and LED fixtures. It would open up the possibilities sooooo much. I wants it!

That enough Smartfade talk? Put quite shortly, you won't find a better hardware console in the price range.

I would seriously consider looking used. I'm 90% sure that the frog someone linked to is a standard Frog not a Fat Frog which I know from owning one can't be used for moving lights. That said, if your patient you should be able to find a Fat Frog or Leprecaun used that is within your budget. Otherwise, you could consider getting a laptop based rig. Lightfactory, an interface, and an Enttec programming or playback wing should be within your budget. You could also look at Chamsys MagicQ although their wing/interfaces are twice your budget and rarely available used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back