Copyright infringement question

NHStech

We have a fall play coming up in a few weeks. There is a dance scene, and my director wants to use contemporary music. I am assuming to just play off itunes or even a purchased cd would constitute some sort of copyright infringement, as we will be charging admission for the play. 1) Am I correct? and 2) If so, how do I go about the process of procuring the rights/permission to use said songs during the performance? I have no idea where to begin. Thank you.

Even if you are covered by ASCAP or BMI any time you you use a piece of music in a play, do a dance too or in any way add a visual part you need to get clearance. At my university we are are trying to find lawyers to hire to get us those rights for upcoming dance shows and plays. You can't believe how hard it is to get one who will do this for a reasonable price. All it takes is someone to post a Youtube video of that part of your show and you open yourself up to cease and desist orders or worse. Don't ask how I know this... You are better off having someone create a song in Garageband or Live with some loops.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back