Crazy For You : Car

jonliles

Fight Leukemia
My wife's high school is producing "Crazy For You." Does anyone have good plans for the car? The stage hands are mostly high school aged with a couple of adults mixed in. The kid tap dancing on the roof is roughly 6 ft tall and about 200 pounds.

EDIT: the school DOES HAVE access to welder.

Sent using Tapatalk

Last edited:
If I knew of someone in the greater Atlanta area, or within a 3 hour drive, I would be totally up to renting or borrowing. Got any leads?

There are a lot of ways to do the dance number without a car. Really all you're looking for is a lot of dancers coming out of an improbably small space. Maybe a phone booth is easier. A car cutout masking a riser on a truck could work if it suits the scenic style.

Tap dancing on the roof of a real car sounds expensive.

It is expensive. The director wants the dancing on the roof, and they are willing to pay for it.

Sent using Tapatalk

I simply found that using the real thing was often better than trying to build a scenery version. Googling "crazy for you car" provides some ideas. Rental out of the question?

Sorry - not much help.

An actual current model car roof would not support tap dancing 200 pounder without a major cave in. Not to mention the crunching sheet metal sounds over the taps... IMO

An actual current model car roof would not support tap dancing 200 pounder without a major cave in. Not to mention the crunching sheet metal sounds over the taps... IMO
It would be a simple thing to put a sheet of ply on it along with a little tape or goop and paint that washes off to disguise the edge. It just turns the the cartoon car "isn't that cute" into the real car on stage "wow" moment, IMHO.

Sounds like a fiberglass job to me if you can't get a real 1930s car on stage. Fiberglass half the the body and mask it with some curtains. Unless they really want a full size 1930s car. When I worked a production of POTO they wanted a working elephant so we fabbed it up with 1/4in rod and fiberglassed it. I would say the process took about 2 weeks. Turned out pretty solid.

How about Styrofoam, carved with a rasp-saw-whatever, covered with muslin and goop, ply in top. Yes - "painted" windows probably but mostly time, not materials.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back