cryogenics and co2?

MHSTech said:
This is kind of off topic, but what would happen if you were to compress fog from a fog machine in an air copressor? Would the fog condense inside the tank?

I'm not sure how you would get the fog into the compressor. Besides, compressors tend to be noisy and for that reason I would not want one on my stage. I guess that if you were to compress the fog enough, it would become liquid. I would not want to be the one cleaning the compressor afterwards though.

i have used some quiet compressors that work great. but i would not want to clean that tank....but the foggers with a air input are designed to create something to the effect of what you are making out of the pvc....i like the pvc idea better since a) i dont have the air input adapter thingy and b) i only have on fogger and its been needed in several spots at the same time

JahJahwarrior said:
well, not just a puff like a tiny cloud, but say I want to have co2 shoot 10 feet high for 10 seconds. I'm guessing I need to know how far to crack open the valve? And using pipe would be cumbersome, but doable. I wish someone on here had extensive expereience with this....I have not had much luck on google.........

There's a fogger that shoots straight up. No idea who makes it but it's like American dj or something. Would that work?

I cna make a fog machine shoot in almost any direction I wish if I use a long section of vacuum hosing I have. Infact, I have been using tubing recently to direct and cool the fog. The longer the hose, the more the fog stays on the ground. It does condense seomwhat on the inside of the hose, but not enough to noticiably reduce the fog output at all, and I'm using like 15 feet of hose :)

The Co2 effect is reliable and repeatable. These Co2 Jet system can be used with the high pressure Liquid CO2 tanks or refrigerated liquid dewar tanks to add to its versatility. Hit me up if you need anymore info.

Unfortunately, I'm in a hurry so I cannot go deeply into this subject but, if you will allow me this brief comment.

a) L-CO2 (Liquefied or Liquid, refrigerated Carbon Dioxide) is commonly distributed commercially from ~125 PSI to 350PSI, and a stable average of ~225 PSI. Anything below 125 would likely freeze CO2 valves (which are undoubtedly used in most cryogenic system) and most containers are calibrated to release (vent) pressure for anything above 350.

b) most commercial CO2 containers are at 890 PSI, at 20 degree C.

c) I am NOT AN EXPERT at using cryogenics per se, but I've dabbled with it by professional osmosis. As such, allow me to suggest you made sure to use a pressure regulator, as I am fairly certain that the effect you want can be achieved at a much lesser pressure than the nominal 890 PSI. Consult an expert.

d) Pushing fog though a compressor is hardly ever a good idea because the "fog" is more than likely at room temperature when it goes through the compressor, and therefore is in liquid state. It will condense (read leave residue / leak) in a confined area (said compressor), and, eventually, damage it. the same will occur in vacuum cleaner conduits, as they are seldom lager than 2" in diameter. To get fog flowing a minimum of air must be forced through a conduit to maintain velocity, avoid condensation and ensure the fog will exit where it is desired.

e) fog effects "shooting" up are cool, but it's quite touchy to achieve something that will dissipate almost instantly like you seem to want. You're still better off looking into cryogenics for that effect, in my humble opinion.

For a list of FAQ about Co2 jets visit:

FAQ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back