Dangerous Flying

A theatre company near me is attempting the flying scene in "American Idiot." They do not have the money or resources to hire proffessionals and are attempting to do it themselves with a 9 foot ceiling. There "plan" is to use those 100 pound plus dog harnesses and 100 pound plus rubber dog leashes. When I said this idea is idiotic I was told "Don't worry about it" Not to mention it's kids 16 and 17 flying and will only be flying 2-3 feet off the ground it is extremely stupid. I'm no rigger myself but I know the rule of thumb is leave flying to the proffessionals. Any words to say to a director that thinks nothing ever goes wrong and can do anything?

Lots of posts here on this, here is one with lots of links:
http://www.controlbooth.com/threads/i-know-its-a-bad-idea-but.28070/#post-249709
You might ask them if they have run this past whoever issued their liability insurance for starts.
An even scarier thing is that unless these teenagers weigh 10 pounds, that rigging doesn't even come close to the 10:1 ratio. Just because it is only a few feet still doesn't make it even close. You can break an ankle just stepping off a curb. You might suggest the ninja gag. It has been used very successfully many times.

Do we have a name for the company attempting this? Perhaps some correspondence is in order?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back