Dead DeWalt Grinder

ship

Senior Team Emeritus
Premium Member
DW-400 Grinder.

I love my 4.5" DeWalt 5.0 Amp grinder as with my DW-996 cordless 14.4v drill that’s even older and bought when it first came to the market.. (The replacement for the drill are nice but more heavy and combersome. My DeWalt is art in design this given like two or three bodies and a similar amount of motors over the years spent in keeping it going.) The grinder is more ergodynamic than any other grinder I have ever used in like 20 years of using them. Bought it over the Makita or Milwaulee grinders that were almost similar but not as nice.

Already been sent in once for this power switch / locking on design problem with it. It was already discontinued but fixed for the most part a few years ago. Since that fix, I already wrote off the locking “on” for the tool and given my love of it, was willing to just deal with it functioning. Not allowed persay make noise at work unless really busy and on an important project - otherwise we have to take our project across a large parking lot (no matter the weather) to the scenery fabrication shop - this unless a quick type of noise needed for fabrication of electrical gear my shop is tasked with. Fab. shop takes about an extra half hour to set up and walk between buildings in making noise, much less isn’t as well set up. Bench vise? It’s about the complex somewhere. My department has eight of them ranging in size from 8" to 5.1/2" in various grades and swivel types, Fabrication dpt. recently found theirs and did a decent job of mounting it and even buying a second at some point.

Given a past history of - lighting dpt. shouldn’t be making noise, and the fab shop to make noise in is archaic in ability or time in doing so, normally I just collect up what noisy or woodworking projects we need done and take them home at the end of the day so as to get done. Even got this underhung drawer still in it’s package that will soon be fitted to as provide storage for the Phillips thru security type power bits for cordless screwdrivers my old index outgrew. This given a few projects in the works in front of it such as Eyeball MR-11 fixtures or a flush mount flange 1Kw RSC wash light. This in addition to the color changing LED microphone stand bases I was sanding tonight the 1/4" plate bottom I was grinder/sanding tonight. This until my tool finally quit. Mostly done, 1/8 of two more to sand and it would no longer turn on. Really just about almost done but nope... no more out of the tool in turning on.

Same problem as last time, this switch mechanism was a design problem on the grinder. Be sending it in in the morning for factory service and hopefully in a discontinued model that was fixed within a year or two for the same problem, it could be warranty. Otherwise I hope they can find proper parts to fix as opposed to replacing it with the next version that isn’t as ergodynamic. Luckily this tool I bought years ago is primarily used for work purposes and following a front office shredder to fix, held hostage until the comptroller finally set up the account with DeWalt factory service. We got that account established, they got their shredder back. Hopefully DeWalt can fix it again instead of replacing it. Good about DeWalt that they do such things like replace if necessary, but try hard to keep it working if possible. This as opposed to my Porter Cable #334 random orbitortal sander that needs a new pad thru the same combined repair center but doesn’t have similar policies for repair. It’s break and frame is mostly a lost cause in sending that one to work and getting a new one as a concept in working, just not as well.

DeWalt I’m totaly sold on for certain tools at least given their policy of if they cannot fix it, a new tool for at most maximum repair cost. Never give up my Skil Worm Drive, Milwaukee Sawzall or other Bosch etc. quality tools but certain tools DeWalt tools are great and I’ll be a life long customer for. This even at some point my home tools have to be upgraded to what I have at work say for a cordless drill that are more cumbersome but still DeWalt. Started taking home my tools after this noise policy got established in making the shop buy their own tools. The shop has always provided for my power tool maintenance or mostly if reasonable such as with the grinder, still though there is duplicate scene shop/fabrication shops - three of them at this point, mine at work, the fab shop at work and my garage. Costs more but given the management has deemed that the electrical areas should not be making noise, and at times even the Fabrication shop don’t have room for us to work - this often given owner projects... I prefer to take stuff home at night or for the weekend. I don’t have access to the fabrication shop anyway over the weekend short of going thru loops to get my key card to swipe me into the building. Easier just to take 20 rack space rack to saw horses home in getting them done at night or over a weekend.

Gotta get fixed my grinder none the less. It’s probably 15 years old at this point and I hope DeWalt doesn’t upgrade it, but given a design flaw to it, I kind of hope they do also.

I have been using Milwaukee angle grinders in nearly every shop I have worked in. I usually keep 2 on my table, one with a cut off wheel and one with an abrasion disk. I have not had an issue with them with the exception of a switch dying in one. I really like the while "body is the switch" design that they have.

The sculpture studio in college was all dewault grinders that were older then dirt and they were very solid. Either way, both are good products.

I have been using Milwaukee angle grinders... I have not had an issue with them with the exception of a switch dying in one. I really like the while "body is the switch" design that they have.
I dislike that design style in having to hold the trigger and one doesn't always hold it the same way for all uses, but indeed as with Makita's we both have experienced a few in personal choice. I like the old DeWalt with lock on switch and dislike the new higher amperage DeWalt iin also having it but heavier and wider in body, but less so than a handle trigger on the Milwaukee.

My angle grinder on the way back to DeWalt today, hopefully they can fix it.

This is all I have to say.
proxy.php

I don't really like any hand tool that you just turn on and let go with the exception of rounters. When welding, having a grinder that I can grab quickly, knock down a weld, then go back to work without fumbling makes my world better.

To each their own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back