Design Direct moonlight

Moonlight is one of those things that has two realities. What it looks like in real life, and what directors and audiences expect it to look like on stage. Very rarely does it seem they are both the same. IMHO, the most effective theatrical moonlight is a bit of both, as it says "this is moonlight" in theatrical language, but also tells your subconscious that the light is that of the moon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Yes, moonlight is reflected sunlight and probably something like 5000k. If you're indoors with incandescent lights all around (2750k+/-) and moonlight jt is coming through a window, it will appear cool/blue by comparison. N.B.: If you gel your "moon" with a pale steel blue, and need to dim it, add some neutral density or grey to the gel and run the instrument at 10 rather than at a lower dimmer setting. If you dim it to a lower intensity the color will get too warm and the "moonlight" effect is lost.

Well we hung and focused this today, and I ended up using the single Par Four off stage through the window. It looks like it will work passably.

My P4 has one of the two wide lenses, but I'm not sure which one. Could somebody confirm which direction those lenses are supposed to bulge? I would have expected the convex side to point towards the set, but I read something that suggests it's the other way 'round.

I'll get photos of everything tomorrow when I program so you can all laugh. :)

Ah. How does it affect the pattern? (Since we only have the one lens for each, getting them out is only an issue when they're being cleaned, and it seemed to me that they were much easier to clean if the smooth side was out...)

That's a really good question. (standard response when you don't know the answer, right?) I've never experimented but now you've got me curious. I had a chance to look at the manual and it does specify that the convex side of the lens should face the rear of the fixture. I also found this quote "Note: Installing the lens with the convex side out will not impair the optics, but it will make removing the lens difficult." Not impairing is one thing but I suppose it could change the beam pattern slightly.

... My P4 has one of the two wide lenses, but I'm not sure which one.
Does it look like the bottom right in post 18 above? The optional XWFL is a criss-cross waffle pattern.

Could somebody confirm which direction those lenses are supposed to bulge? ...
On ETC Source Four PAR units, bulge toward the lamp. http://www.controlbooth.com/threads/par-lens-orientation.35564 . Optically it makes little to no difference, but it's easier to remove and install if it's convex in/concave out.

... the single Par Four off stage ...
My P4 has ...
Please stop calling it that. It's a "Source Four PAR", or "S4-PAR" for short.

Or, I will forget to take pictures. :)

I ended up using the S4P (happy, Derek? :) with the reverse-installed lens, clamped to our stage-left catwalk stairs about head height. It thus has some down-tilt -- about 10 degrees -- to clear the draperies in that window, and sprays enough of the bed to make the director happy when combined with the blue downfills, which it's capable of being a stop or two brighter than when both are at 100%. It and everything else are gelled our stock dark blue, which I don't have a number for.

The special ends up having *just* enough collimation that you can see the windoe stiles on the wall, though they're a bit soft; I think I like it better that way.

My 'floor lamp' cue is three pars above the front pipe; double amber on the outsides and rose in the middle, crossing over.

My 'full' cue is a bunch of ungelled S4's for overall fill; they won't run at 100% which will warm them up some.

And one other special, framed to light up the entry door (the director otherwise doesn't want a lot of light up the back wall, so the Bad Guy entering through the sliding doors is in relative darkness. I have an upstage white fill cue with 4 S4's on the second and third pipes to do some facial fill there, and we'll see how it goes in the Q2Q tomorrow.

My thanks to all for the suggestions, even though I ended up going with something simpler. Everyone has to start somewhere; I guess a 'meat and potatos' director is the best place.

Photos still to follow.

Ok, lessee here....

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back