DMX / Microplex Dimmer Rack Patching

Before I ask my question, I know the rule is NEVER use a Y type adapter with DMX.

So now that that is out of the way... I have an older portable dimmer rack that has 4 dimmers inside for a total of 32 channels. They all run with microplex. We still sometimes need the option of using microplex so I can't completely get rid of that part of the chain. In the past year we finally got a DMX console that is worth using so I installed a converter (specifically the Leviton IF-501) into the rack and modified our patch panel on the front. Before we had both 3-pin XLR male and female on the front of the rack to control the dimmers.

I added 2 more 3-pin XLR male and female ports on the panel for DMX that connects to the converter before the signal eventually ends in the dimmers.

So to my question, Can I wire both a 3-pin and a 5-pin XLR for the DMX signal with the understanding that only one could be used? For example, I would solder the back of the 5-pin to the 3-pin and then to the converter so we could use either option. I know there will be issues if we use it as a split or try to connect something to both jacks.

Would this work? Same option for the output? Could I have both a 3-pin DMX and a 5-pin DMX and only use one of them and not have issues?

Yes you can do this.

A lot of moving fixtures have been sold with this exact configuration, 2 - 3 pin XLR and 2 - 5 pin XLR all on the same fixture, so as to give the user options in the event they had both style of data cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back