Open 4/12, dmx decoder/LED tape works from board not stage.

bren_ed

First time working with LED tape/dmx decoders. We open in less than two weeks, Q2Q in a week, open 4/12.

I’m an amateur lighting designer lighting a musical at a high school and teaching the kids what I can. The set is a series of arches with LED tape outlining/lighting them. I’ve hit a snag with dmx/control. I’ve googled to no avail…

Sorry about any confusing/wrong language or terms, I’m mostly self-taught. Very happy to be corrected/taught! I’ve tried to include all info I can, since I’m not sure what all is relevant or not…

When I connect dmx to the decoder directly from the lighting console’s (Strand Neo) dmx out port I have complete control, color and intensity, of decoder and LED tape strips (all 5 m or less). It’s RGBW Led tape, and (2) 32 channel DMX512 LED Decoders. I addressed 8 back-to-back generic RGBW led fixtures for each decoder (16 total), and addressed them 40 and 72. There are no channel conflicts/overlaps, like I said everything works great when dmx goes directly from the board.

The stuff used:

Decoder: https://www.amazon.com/Channel-Decoder-Controller-Dimmer-DC5-24V/dp/B075FHJM35?pd_rd_w=PIuvV&content-id=amzn1.sym.c75be473-fd9d-40a1-b940-0fbe5f6985d0&pf_rd_p=c75be473-fd9d-40a1-b940-0fbe5f6985d0&pf_rd_r=4JM5BRMYW2XHC7P0W4F4&pd_rd_wg=fdXNU&pd_rd_r=8a75ec7d-5b31-4e7e-bd47-d0c2728530ea&pd_rd_i=B075FHJM35&psc=1&ref_=pd_bap_m_grid_dv_rp_0_1_ec_ppx_yo2_mob_b_ts_rp_2_i#customerReviews

Tape strips: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G48K7C1/?tag=controlbooth-20

Both decoders, external power supplies, 3-5 pin adapters and led tape are fully tested/ fully functioning.

Carrying the same set-up (cables, wiring, decoder address and console patch) to the stage and using a (fully functioning) electric (baton) dmx out port, I have no dmx control.

The decoders and tape are clearly getting power, they flash when connected to power source, I’ve tried LED dimmer and just a plain ol’ wall outlet… When I add DMX onstage, one led tape strip goes green/yellow, the other goes red (I hooked up two tape strips, one to each decoder since I’d already tested everything).

So, just no dmx signal/control unless plugged straight into the board? What am I missing?

When I carried the exact same wiring/set-up back to the booth to retest that nothing was messed up in transit (the dmx decoder and tape, power supplies, cables) and connected to the board’s dmx out again, it works perfectly. Intensity, color, everything I could want. Everything I DO want.

I know the stage/electric/baton dmx out port and cables are good (right?) because the cables/dmx out properly controls the LED fixtures, daisy-chained Altman PHX1.5 Profiles . I’ve tried two separate dmx out’s on stage (a side-arm and an electric) and on both tried daisy-chaining dmx at the end of working led fixtures (the PHX1.5 Profiles) and at the front of a 3 and 8 run/series.

The lighting booth is less than 80 ft from the stage, so I don’t think (?) that it’s the distance of the dmx run…

Help? I’ve been working with the director a long time, and joked I’d do one of my ‘specials’, either running an ugly cable all the way from the booth through the auditorium to stage, or set up a second board and cue a separate show just for the led tape, sometimes I ramble as you can tell from this post… and he’s now sent me ebay links for old Smartfades. HELP.

Last edited:
#1 - Your link to the decoder is the same as the link to the LED tape.

#2 - Are your decoders(generic RGBW fixtures) patched in the same universe as the PHX1.5 profiles that do work on that DMX out port? If the setup works when directly connected to the console, it *should* work on any DMX port outputting the same universe.

#3 Is RDM on? (on whatever device is outputting to the DMX Port on the Electric) "Shouldn't" make a difference, but you never know.

#1 - Your link to the decoder is the same as the link to the LED tape.

#2 - Are your decoders(generic RGBW fixtures) patched in the same universe as the PHX1.5 profiles that do work on that DMX out port? If the setup works when directly connected to the console, it *should* work on any DMX port outputting the same universe.

#3 Is RDM on? (on whatever device is outputting to the DMX Port on the Electric) "Shouldn't" make a difference, but you never know.

Thank you NJLX! I edited and (hopefully) corrected the link.
I didn’t think to check the universe! I bet that’s it. I patched into universe 1, but remember noticing last week that the install company switched between universe 1-3 depending on the electric, and thought nothing of it. I’m working off a copy of the default/install show file. I’ll check this out next time I’m in the space, and update.

I’ll also look into RDM (Remote Device Management?), I hadn’t heard of that before.

Again, thanks!

To clarify on RDM - I don't expect the decoder to have any RDM functions, but one of the troubleshooting steps we usually recommend is turning RDM off on your console or gateway, just to be sure.

I second checking the universe first. You already know you have communication from that electric to the console because of the Altman's so start with the universe

As a side bar: For my show's, if intellegent fixtures are in play, I like to keep each electric on a separate universe or 2 unverses per. It's more of an organizational thing. Plus if I need to throw a fixture in expanded mode, I know I have the room. It ends up kind of overkill, but it helps me find a fixture quick and be able randomly add a fixture without having to do an overhaul.

If the universe is correct, then it's possible you have a weak DMX signal and the Altmans can read it, but your decoders can't. You might consider renting a DMX Isolation amp such as a DFD121 and put it at the start of the electric. If you have the resources, completely isolating the tape run with an Iso Splitter and termination has solved a lot of problems with LED tape for me. Also don't forget to terminate any runs that you have tape on. The cheaper decoders can create a lot of noise that can mimic RDM flicker.

I highly recommend that you always keep RDM off, unless you are actively using it. If you had an installer in there recently, they might have left it on. ETC Concert can turn a lot of RDM nodes off.
HOWEVER, if you're not familiar with nodes, RDM, networking etc. my personal recommendation is unless there is a problem, DON'T TOUCH IT UNTIL AFTER STRIKE. you're too close to show to risk easily breaking the network.

UPDATE: It was the universe! Thanks to all of you for your help, it’s very much appreciated and saved me a ton of time. I’m back on schedule. I’m going to get a terminator to add, per suggestion, and look into RDM after the run. I hadn’t heard of DMX Isolation amps or an Iso Splitter, so I’m going to look into those as well. The more you know, thanks!

Always fit a terminator to the last fixture in a chain. You'll find a load of experts in the likes of Facebook who will tell you terminating is never needed - they're wrong. You'll probably get away with it - until you don't, often in the middle of a show when you just had to add or swap out a fixture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back