Control/Dimming DMX Pro won't control

JD53

I've been consulting with a local school helping them set up a pc to control their lighting. They have a PC running windows 7 professional with an Enttec DMX Pro connected for controlling a couple strand CD80 dimmer packs. The device works with Pro utility and DMX Pro manager. The lights can be controlled with each utility. But when we switch to another lighting control software program, LightsUp! or Open Light Rehearsal (or anything for that matter) the software says we are connected but there is no control. Lights do not respond. I installed the drivers from the CD that came with the DMX Pro, upgraded the firmware on the device, and moved the usb cable to different ports. The only control of the lights occurs with the Enttec utility. The kicker is that the same pc works fine with an Enttec open DMX interface I have. But the open DMX will not work with the software they want to use. Enttec support says to contact the software supplier but I feel like it's something else. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Make sure the lighting software is configured correctly, sometimes they don't detect the correct COM port.
It sounds as if it's a problem in software if the enttec utilities are working fine.

I personally use freestyler and it works fine, I just select the Enttec PRO dongle and COM4 port. If your program allows you to select the virtual COM port used, try a different one. Looking in device manager you might be able to find which port it is.

You can understand Enttec's position - if things work with their software then the problem is at your software's end. When you say the system works with an Enttec Open, but not the Pro, then it could indeed be a Com port issue as they will be different because they use different drivers. It could also be that the other software is looking for a Direct D2XX driver which you may not have installed. I would be curious if you have the same problems with my lighting software.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back