DMX splitter

Hi there,

I am looking for multiple units of UL or ETL certified DMX splitter with as many ports as possible, preferably with screw terminals and DIN rail. Any other US recognized certification would be fine as well. CE definitely not...

There's an incredibly expensive high-end ETC Response line of splitters and the also quite expensive Philips Showline splitter but considering that I need 200+ ports, those are beyond my client's budget.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Erwin

Hi there,

I am looking for multiple units of UL or ETL certified DMX splitter with as many ports as possible, preferably with screw terminals and DIN rail. Any other US recognized certification would be fine as well. CE definitely not...

Erwin

Comes w compression screw terminal and Insulation Displacement Contact connectors for Cat5.

Thanks, Rob!
That's a lovely piece of equipment. I have a couple of technical questions and will contact tech support after Labor Day.
That's the best number, right? 866-617-3074
Cheers,
Erwin

Reactions: Rob
There's an incredibly expensive high-end ETC Response line of splitters
Pretty sure all ETC Response data distribution devices were discontinued by the early 2000s.
As far as ETC/LMI Response products, I am also sad that they have mostly gone away. They were pretty solid and feature-packed but over time we were faced with good competitors at good prices and since our sales were dropping, we just gradually stopped promoting the items. To be honest, some of them had been around since the mid-80s and they just weren't cost effective to make anymore since DFD and Pathway could do the same circuit design with smaller, more-dense components. There are still thousands of them out there and we certainly keep them running when they, from time-to-time, fail. Also, we do still make a few of them on request.
I'd not hesitate one second before specifying something from Pathway Connectivity or Doug Fleenor Design. Maybe Artistic License, Interactive Technologies, or Swissom as a second tier alternative.

Last edited:
Good afternoon!

We have our one in, twelve out DIN rail splitter, the appropriately named 1212-DIN: http://www.dfd.com/1212.html

It is a low voltage splitter, so the optional power supply we sell covers it as far as listing is concerned. If you'd like to talk with one of our engineers to make sure it will work for your situation, please give us a call on Tuesday!

Janell
Doug Fleenor Design (805) 481-9599

Last edited:
Can I ask what the usecase is? 200 ports of "hardwire" dmx seems like a lot at this point for general use, and I'm curious what you're doing with it. Will add my vote to pathport or fleenor as well, both are rock solid.

You will find cheaper options than Fleenor and Pathway but they will not be as high quality, durable, or reliable. And when we are talking about such a critical piece of the system you want the best.

I've made friends at Pathway and feel part of the Fleenor family. Both have been great supporters of CB over the years both in terms of having a presence and answering questions as well as financially. Both have outstanding customer support and service. You can't go wrong with either company. Pick the product that best meets your needs and never worry about it again.

Can I ask what the usecase is? 200 ports of "hardwire" dmx seems like a lot at this point for general use, and I'm curious what you're doing with it. Will add my vote to pathport or fleenor as well, both are rock solid.
The installati
It's actually 2 x 104 ports, each for different sites at an airport. I know, still A LOT of ports. We probably have redesign the custom DMX light fixture and data system to avoid a DMX-splitmageddon....

The installati

It's actually 2 x 104 ports, each for different sites at an airport. I know, still A LOT of ports. We probably have redesign the custom DMX light fixture and data system to avoid a DMX-splitmageddon....
This is even more of a reason to go with DFD. I bet he will build you out a custom 200 port splitter for a decent price just to showcase it at LDI.
Just so he can provide DMX controlled coffee pots at each booth controlled from one centralized location.

Also we would love pictures of your current setup for the archives.

Obsidian Control just released their DIN rail line of products. One is an RDM splitter, 6 output per chassis.
Fully enclosed housing and the ports can be located on the front or bottom of the unit, which is unique.

I personally love the Elation Netron stuff. They have 12-way rackmount available with RJ45 to screw terminal adapters, and Din Rail 6-way with screw terminal optos. Great stuff, we use a lot of their racmount nodes & optos and love them.

ETA: check out what @rsmentele posted above. Great stuff.

Pretty sure all ETC Response data distribution devices were discontinued by the early 2000s.

The original Response products were discontinued... but then they resurrected the name for new gateway and splitter products sometime in the last decade. ETC can also make custom opto-splitter assemblies if you need more ports in one place, but I would certainly hope we're not talking about something that actually needs 104 ports in one location. That sounds like a mess.

Also @Erwin Redl , what's driving the need for that many ports? If you're just trying to stay under 32 devices per port, keep in mind that most modern products use DMX chips that are less than one unit load (typically 1/4, 1/8, or even less), so you can put more than 32 devices on a run. That's less true if you're trying to use RDM, but that would fail anyway with that many things on an opto-splitter based distribution system. For that you really need a network and a bunch of gateways.

This is even more of a reason to go with DFD. I bet he will build you out a custom 200 port splitter for a decent price just to showcase it at LDI.
Just so he can provide DMX controlled coffee pots at each booth controlled from one centralized location.

Also we would love pictures of your current setup for the archives.
Thank you for the recommendation. We decided to redesign the fixture and are down to a small splitter with only 4-6 ports. Nothing to write home about, at least no more DMX splitter bragging rights...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back