Don't Look Up!

DrPinto

I just love working in new places. I recently got to see the creative way someone figured out how to hang the tormentors and legs. And yes, that is tie line! I pointed it out to the powers that be. When they realized how dangerous it was, they put in a work order to cut them down ASAP. Good times...

Attachments

• Picture 052.jpg
    Picture 052.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 382
  • Picture 053.jpg
    Picture 053.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 327
Nice... one day I'm going to have to load test some tie line... not for rigging of course, just for kicks.

However, worse is commonly done... in the course of things I've been finding lately that would not qualify as a crisis... but yes, please get it corrected.

Um, guys, you do know that you can buy load rated tie line? We have reels of it at the shop...

(And I suspect that it was a qualified rigger that hung the clock on the wall with it too :twisted:)

Um, guys, you do know that you can buy load rated tie line? We have reels of it at the shop...

(And I suspect that it was a qualified rigger that hung the clock on the wall with it too :twisted:)

Is been discussed before, but #4 1/8" tie line is "rated" for 100#. However, the second you put a knot in in you cut that in half. With a 5:1 safety factor you can now hang 10# off of it overhead. Tie line is meant to hold things in place and to hang soft goods, not to take the place of wire rope of chain.

Is been discussed before, but #4 1/8" tie line is "rated" for 100#. However, the second you put a knot in in you cut that in half. With a 5:1 safety factor you can now hang 10# off of it overhead. Tie line is meant to hold things in place and to hang soft goods, not to take the place of wire rope of chain.

Yes, it's definitely not much it is rated for, but it is rated none the less. Besides, you would need metallic attachment for a pipe I should think to cover the same fire safety rules that prohibit the use of fibrous spansets without a steel backup...

I was told at the start that I couldn't use a ladder because it was "too dangerous"! I have 12 ellipsoidals that I NEED to aim. I'm still trying to get a maintenance person to help.

Why does it seem like the auditorium is the most screwed up place in a building?

In my school the official rule is that students cannot be off the ground more than 15 feet. Yes, as if we're going to abide by that one.

In my school the official rule is that students cannot be off the ground more than 15 feet. Yes, as if we're going to abide by that one.

Here it's 1.8 metres... (Properly handrailed balconies and such are of course not subject to that, but up a ladder, etc. it's 1.8m...

Wow. I notified management about the tie line hanging problem on Friday and when I came back Tuesday, they had installed chains on all the legs. I was impressed.

I was told at the start that I couldn't use a ladder because it was "too dangerous"! I have 12 ellipsoidals that I NEED to aim. I'm still trying to get a maintenance person to help.

Why does it seem like the auditorium is the most screwed up place in a building?

thats the rule in my school to, the trick is dont let anyone know... thats why i've hotwired my schools hydraulic lift so it doesn't need a key, and i always close the curtains before starting work:twisted:

Um, we have no such rule at my school, I have been as high as 62 feet. Which is our roof, which has about 2 foot walls...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back