Dropping a Window on an Actor

I'm designing a set for the 16th Century play Arden of Faversham. The only thing required is to have an actor's "head broken by a window ." This is an open window suddenly closing as someone is sticking their head through it. I have access to a premade window (plexi pane and wooden frame) that I can alter as needed. Should I rig this somehow or create something from scratch? I'm usually on the artistic rather than logistic side of scene design, so any suggestions would be appreciated. Obviously safety is the chief concern, and I know the actor this will include is experienced and game for most things. This is a low tech production that focuses on the text. As of now, most of the set consists of framed windows and doors on casters to be moved by actors, so this would be an element within one of these frames. Thanks in advance for any advice!

I would say obviously don't drop anything on anyone. Do it like a guillotine but with stops to catch it just before actually hitting the actor, the gap won't be noticeable from the audience. Just make sure there's enough space for the actor and that they stay in the safety range. There's probably a better method.

Via tapatalk

Above all, with the safety stop mentioned by josh88, I would want this to be controlled solely by the actor somehow. Maybe with a lever that lowers the window or some sort of slider similar to in-glass blinds or something. Also, I would want to include some sort of padding on the bottom of the window, just in case - maybe foam or felt or some combination of the two.

the method I would try, and of course test for safety, would be to remove the class from the window. then on the bottom left of the window sash, cut through on an angle like the left side of the letter V. then cut the right straight down and put a hinge on the top corner. On the sill on the right side put a stop block maybe 3 inches tall. the idea is as the window is sliding down the bottom edge is hinged. its to stop block and piviots upward, going from a horizontal sash to a vertical. the stoplight is mounted in Word far enough to allow both edges of the sash to clear. the actor should be wearing a protective collar under his costume.

Thanks for your replies. The director has now decided it needs to be an awning that comes down, hinged on the top. Definitely will be controlled by the actor with a stop block. and padding. Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back