Dry Ice machine

Bogo1229

A few weeks ago, I made a dry ice machine out of a 55 gal drum, hot water tank elements, and a fan. I seem to have only one working element which creates a problem when I need to heat my water up. I tested the element and it still seems to be ok. And I have tested the other connections and components and they all seem to be ok. I am using a 4500w double heating element. Any thoughts?

You say that you tested the element and it seemed to be fine... What did you do to test it? Did you bring it back into your shop and plug it in? Is it possible that you blew a circuit whereever you're using it? 4500 is alot of watts, especially if you have them both on the same circuit.

Hmm...stupid question--but the first thing that comes to mind is to check and ask--how are you powering it? Those 4500w double elements are usually 240v and are pretty picky about their power... Provided the element is new and good--I would check how you are powering it...

-w

Last edited:
Hmm...stupid question--but the first thing that comes to mind is to check and ask--how are you powering it? Those 4500w double elements are usually 240v and are pretty picky about their power... Provided the element is new and good--I would check how you are powering it...

-w

Agreed.

Also, be sure everything is on a GFCI if you are not already.

If you have it wired with 2 thermostats like a regular waterheater, It will only have 1 element on at a time.

Yes, simply wire them parallel or like two seperate units each with it's own power cord and plug. Either way will work.

Michael Powers, Project Manager
ETCP Certified Rigger - Theatre
Central Lighting & Equipment Inc.

I thought about wiring it parallel, but wouldnt that just make both elements on the same 110 power and not 240?

I believe you are confusing parallel and series. Parallel is when you tap them both into the same source preserving voltage and doubling amps. While series is where you wire the neutral of one into the hot of another, thus reducing voltage and preserving amp draw.

I believe you are confusing parallel and series.............
Skienblack is indeed correct. Wiring parallel keeps both elements on whatever voltage you have on input. If one element goes out the other is unaffected and continues operating independently. Amperage is the total amperage of both (all) the working elements in the circuit. If you were to wire in series, like the Christmas lights that go out if you remove one of the bulbs/lamps, then the voltage is "shared" among the working elements. That's why you can have 20 six volt lamps on a 120vac string of lights without a transformer. Newer versions of the lamps have a shunt that allows the string to remain lit if one lamp burns out, but now each lamp is burning at a slightly higher voltage.

Michael Powers, Project Manager
ETCP Certified Rigger - Theatre
Central Lighting & Equipment Inc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back