Control/Dimming EOS: MIDI over Network?

Brentgi

I just wanted to verify that EOS cannot receive MIDI over the network by itself. Is this correct?

I'm working on putting something together and was wondering if anyone has had any experience in doing this specifically (I have found several articles outlining how to do something similar, but most of them seem to over-complicated). In the simplest form, I'd like to be able to have bi-directional communication between ETC Element and ProPresenter running on a Mac. (i.e. have the Element fire a cue when a certain slide is clicked in ProPesenter, OR have ProPresenter switch slides when a cue is fired)

Now, I know how to do the setup on both ends using MSC, as well as ProPresenter's MIDI module. What I'm not sure of is the best route to take in order to get from point A to B. So I would love to hear from someone who has done this.

Right now, my option is to just run USB to MIDI adapter on the Mac and go with MIDI directly into the console. However, I would like the ability to send MIDI commands over the network using Ableton (from the stage) to send commands to ProPresenter and Element simultaneously.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Side question: Can I SEND commands to the Element via ArtNet? I am uncertain about how this works.

I would look into using OSC in this applocatio. Normally an Eos console can't accept MIDI MSC commands by itself beacuae it doesnt have the ports. You would need the show control gateway on the network with the MIDI connectors. An Ion has the connectors onboard but im not sure about the TI or Gio. However an Eos system can't accept MIDI notes from the ProPresenter control module. You can run the notes through a translator like OSCulator though and send them through OSC commands.

I just happened to do a write up for this on my blog here.

The answer to you side question is not really you can control ProPresenter from you console as a fixture via artnet.

I would look into using OSC in this applocatio. Normally an Eos console can't accept MIDI MSC commands by itself beacuae it doesnt have the ports. You would need the show control gateway on the network with the MIDI connectors. An Ion has the connectors onboard but im not sure about the TI or Gio. However an Eos system can't accept MIDI notes from the ProPresenter control module. You can run the notes through a translator like OSCulator though and send them through OSC commands.

I just happened to do a write up for this on my blog here.

The answer to you side question is not really you can control ProPresenter from you console as a fixture via artnet.

Thanks so much for the info! I've got a followup question... With ProPresenter, I can get either the full communications module or just the MIDI module. Do I need the full communications module to use OSCulator?

Also, for a clarification, I am using an Element which has MIDI In/Out. So I should be able to send MIDI commands directly to the console with use of direct MIDI. I'll double check this.

Thanks again for the info! I'm going to bookmark your blog.

With ProPresenter, I can get either the full communications module or just the MIDI module. Do I need the full communications module to use OSCulator?
You should only need the communications module to get ProPresenter to send notes to OSCulator. So the cost is relatively low since OSCulator is only about $20 and the MIDI only module is ~$100 if I remember. THe only reason you might want the full communication module is to use artnet to control ProPresenter from the console. However, you could use OSC commands FROM the Element to do this through another instance of OSCulator.

Also, for a clarification, I am using an Element which has MIDI In/Out. So I should be able to send MIDI commands directly to the console with use of direct MIDI. I'll double check this.
If you go the OSC route the only hardware you need is an Ethernet cable from the Element to your computer and maybe a USB network device depending on your computers port setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back