Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Senior Team
CB Mods
Fight Leukemia
ETC enters rigging market
Unveils new automated hoist system at LDI 2009

ETC_Rigging_Prodigy_Hoist.jpg

(20 November 2009) – LDI 2009 will be another history-making moment for ETC (Electronic Theatre Controls, Inc.) as the company officially announces its entry into a new product market: rigging.

Already leaders in the entertainment-technology industry with their respected lighting fixtures and control systems, ETC will unveil a line of innovative motorized hoists and hoist-control systems for theatrical and architectural use. The product family is called ETC Rigging™, and its first offerings -- on view at LDI -- will be the fixed-speed ETC Prodigyhoist systems and ETC QuickTouch™ controls. (More specific information on the benefits and features of ETC Rigging can be found on the new Web site www.etcrigging.com , which offers detailed video and animated illustrations of the products.)

ETC Chief Executive Officer Fred Foster explains this major corporate move: “ETC has always been driven by the pursuit of a better way to do things – to create products that represent real progress in entertainment technology. We have developed this new range of rigging systems with the same spirit of pioneering technological innovation that brought the industry our Source Four spotlights. Our ETC Rigging systems literally and figuratively raise the bar – engineered to set new standards for safety and smart design, while being affordable.”

Experts for almost 35 years in the stage world, with thousands of lighting installations worldwide, ETC has closely scrutinized the state of the art of rigging. “We found significant opportunities for improvement,” says ETC Vice President of Business Development Bill Gallinghouse. Sophisticated technical features such as slack-line detection, status feedback, load cells, and absolute position encoders, are standard -- not options -- in ETC’s rigging product range. “We have rethought the fundamentals so that more kinds of venues have access to cutting-edge automated rigging,” says Gallinghouse. “The range of applications for this first series of ETC Rigging will go from grade schools to high schools, colleges and universities, to houses of worship, community theaters, and TV.”

ETC Rigging includes unprecedented innovation in technology -- a smaller powerhead, unique cable management system, an innovative compression tube backbone. Prodigy hoists retract compactly into 30 inches of plenum space, fitting into low-ceilinged venues while preserving sightlines and aesthetics. Venues whose architecture could not support other hoist systems can now access motorized rigging: ETC compression-tube technology imposes no additional lateral-load stress on buildings. And new buildings with limited budgets can choose affordable ETC Rigging instead of having to specify expensive catwalks or other structures to gain easy, safe access to their truss and stage equipment.

Known for their award-winning control systems in the lighting world, ETC has taken this expertise into the rethinking of better controls for hoist automation, with the result being the powerful, scalable, yet simple to operate ETC QuickTouch series.

Gallinghouse emphasizes, however, that technological innovation is just one part of ETC’s overall plan to serve this market: “ETC is partnering with the most experienced and qualified rigging installers and supporting them with our unmatched project management, customer and technical service, and manufacturing to provide complete, safe and economical rigging solutions.”

ETC says that orders are already being taken for ETC Rigging systems, and the company plans to begin shipping the products in January.

ETC_Rigging_Quicktouch_Control_family.jpg

THE CATS OUT THE BAG NOW!

I'm so excited we can talk about this now.

Last edited:
This is a huge horizontal development for ETC business-wise. Of all of the tricks I figured ETC had up their sleeve, this was not one of my suspicions. This is right in line with how they do business, though. They watch someone else doing something(in this case, groups like JR Clancy), then ask themselves how they can make it better, and run with it. It's a genuine shame we don't see this more in general industry because innovation in recent years has started to level off as companies have cut back their R&D funding.

As people start mingling about this, I'd like to know if anyone has projected the price point on a system like this versus a JR Clancy system or a regular counterset install.

Also as someone relatively local to ETC, what does this mean for their business structure? I'd be interested in finding out if they'll stick with their existing production facilities or if they'll need to expand. Their Middleton headquarters have undergone some major renovations and additions already in the past few years, so I wonder if such an addition to their product line will result in an expansion of their facilities or if they have enough room to not need an expansion.

Sounds exciting, I can't wait to look at it at USITT. I wish I could be at LDI this year to see it, I was even awarded an ETC LDI Scholarship, but I had to turn it down because techs for my thesis show got moved up and started tonight instead.

For those of you who missed it in his earlier post...

dvsDave will be covering ETC's formal announcement of ETC Rigging and the new Prodigy product line LIVE from LDI at 5pm EST Friday. He will follow that up with an interview with the product manager on Saturday morning. So start thinking about questions for Dave to ask, and post them in his post press conference coverage on Friday.

If there's something else you would like Dave to check out at LDI, post your requests here or send him a PM. He's eager to know what we are interested in (Personally Dave, I want to know about the secret product from Strong, the new Robe Plasma fixture, and I want to know if Doug Fleenor has anything crazy going on in his booth this year). Along with all the blogging, Dave will be shooting a lot of video as well. Get set for a front row seat to the latest information live from LDI right here on CB.

Note: The ETC Rigging web page (which is listed in the official press release Dave posted above) doesn't work. The press release was confidential until 12:01 am Friday... and Dave was nice enough to wait until 12:11 am before posting. It would appear they don't want to let too much out before the big announcement and so they are redirecting the website until later.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back